Creative Writing Course at the French House Party, Carcassonne:
Recommended in the book “The 100 Best Worldwide Vacations to Enrich Your Life”, the French House Party in the Carcassonne area of south-west France offers residential, all-inclusive experience holidays, including two specialized 6-day summer Creative Writing courses for writers and creative writing hobbyists. Located in the Languedoc-Roussillon region, Carcassonne is only 50 miles from Toulouse which has an international airport. Ryanair also fly directly to Carcassonne from the UK, Ireland, Belgium, and Paris Beauvais international airport.
• Run by author and professional tutor Sarah Hymas, our summer creative writing courses promises the exploration of new techniques, mainly in prose, but also addressing poetry.
• Daily workshops expand the imagination using writing games and exercises that rely on play, memory and a sense of adventure. One-to-one tutorials are also included.
“Reading as well as writing, talking, thinking and offering feedback – the focus will be to limber up, stretch ourselves and write with renewed vigour and joy.” - Sarah Hymas.
• Sarah Hymas, who has taught Creative Writing in schools and universities, has been the French House Party Creative Writing Tutor for the past six years.
• Sarah is a co-founder of the Writing Smithy, a mentoring and manuscript appraisal service, a writer of poetry (Host was published in 2010), plays, lyrics and short stories and her work has appeared in magazines, anthologies, single collections, multimedia exhibits, theatre brochures, dance videos and as a libretto for an opera.
• She currently works for Arc, a poetry publisher, as well as working as a freelance in writing projects and workshops. She is also a writing coach. In 2010, Sarah was named the winner of the UK Arvon Foundation’s prestigious ‘six-word short story’ competition.
"Write Like No One's Watching"
Whether you’re new to writing or have been writing for some time, published or unpublished, this 6-day all-inclusive residential course offers the chance to write, play, experiment and share your work.
You will not be expected to write in any particular style or genre, except for that chosen by yourself - fact or fiction, prose or poetry.
"Pen & Think" - Tutored Creative Writing Retreat:
This course is for the experienced writer who is progressing their work, and a wonderful opportunity to enjoy the time and space for devoting yourself daily to your current writing, be that a novel, memoir, collection of poetry or short stories.
There will be at least two one-to-one sessions with Sarah in the afternoons to explore your work in depth, in conversations specifically tailored to your needs.
- A large (A4) loose-leafed notebook
- A pocket-sized notebook
- Plenty of pens and pencils
- Three small but important possessions (these might be things you’d bring anyway on a trip away)
- A favourite book (could be a novel, collection of short stories or poems)
- A sense of adventure
What is included?
• Accommodation in twin/double bedroom with private facilities.
• All tuition and all course materials.
• All meals with wine, including those taken at our selection of excellent restaurants.
• Chauffeured transfers from and to Carcassonne or Toulouse airport.
• Exclusive use of our pool, tennis court and boules pitch.
• Bicycles for your use.
• Welcome fizz and information get-together.
• Private wine-tasting outing to vineyard (optional)
• An outing to the stunning medieval city of Carcassonne: the famous walled city is a World Heritage Site (optional)
• Chauffeured transport provided on all scheduled trips.
• Situated amid sunflower fields in a peaceful rural area on the outskirts of Carcassonne, the 300- year-old stone barn has been uniquely converted in Art Deco style, with large, open living spaces within the house.
• We enjoy fantastic views of the Pyrenees, which can still be white-capped, even in May.
• There are gardens with plenty of quiet corners for private reflection and several terraces, a pool with a bbq area for al fresco dining, an all-weather tennis court, covered table-tennis area, petanque (boules) arena as well as an indoor games room with pool-table and a classic 1950s juke box.
• Guests may borrow the bicycles at the house for, perhaps, a leisurely ride along the banks of the nearby Canal du Midi.
• The 8 individually-designed, ensuite bedrooms are double, twin or triple-sized. All have AC units, hairdryers and CD players. Two ground-floor rooms are suitable for guests with mobility limitations.
• The house has a broadband connection, which guests may access for a small charge.
• "I had never been on a writing course before and did not know what to expect. I was a little anxious...but it was a brilliant few days. I was met at the airport and immediately put at ease.
The house was comfortable, the food and wine excellent; the company entertaining and pleasant and I left feeling happier about my writing and feeling generally cosseted and cared for. I would recommend it absolutely without reservation.’
Ann• "What an absolutely wonderful experience I had while attending the Creative Writing course under the guidance of one of the greatest tutors I've had the pleasure to know - Sarah Hymas.
Learning new skills is one thing, but learning new skills while meeting new people, eating the finest of foods and drinking some delicious local wines (see picture of wine-tasting lesson on terrace) in the stunning setting of French House Party is a memory which will last me long into the future. Residential courses can leave you feeling a little jaded, but there is NO fear of that here.
Awakening to a view where acres of sunflowers are nodding their large yellow heads in a gentle South of France breeze really sets the note for all to follow. The course run by Sarah was perfectly tailored for all abilities, and run in a professional but convivial manner."
• "Sarah Hymas is ingeniously clever as a creative writing tutor and I thoroughly enjoyed her series of intense tasks and more informal parlour games, each a mind-manipulation intent on making you use your imagination and freedom of expression. For me, Sarah was the perfect choice of tutor at the French House Party Carcassonne."
• "As I said hello to my fellow classmates over a glass of Champagne as the sun set on the Languedoc, I knew I was in for a treat...Beautiful countryside, lovely people, amazing food and, above all, a really gifted tutor.’
Maria, Manchester Evening News
The French House Party is named Top Retreat in the National Geographic book by American travel writer Pam Grout: "The 100 Best Worldwide Vacations to Enrich Your Life".
We provide superior all-inclusive experience holidays, assuring the very best of personal attention to people whose expectations are high. Without exception, our clients praise our great accommodation, fantastic food and wine, the excellence of our tutors and our exacting attention to detail.
At our stylish, 300-year-old Carcassonne farmhouse, set in the stunning rural environment of South West France, we offer some scheduled short-break tutored holidays which you can join as an individual, and others which can be tailor-made for your group during your own selected dates.
Groups with no tutor requirements - or who are accompanied by their own instructor - can, with our help, create a bespoke break in the calm knowledge that it will run smoothly - we can arrange everything you need, from buses to banquets.
Specific Contact Pages: - Creative Writing Retreat
- Courses / Programs
|Address: Carcassonne, South West France, France|
|Search schools here by state/city for Alabama, Arizona-Phoenix, Arkansas, California-LA County/Bay Area, Colorado-Denver, Florida-Miami-Dade, Georgia-Atlanta, Illinois-Chicago/Cook County, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mass-Boston, Michigan, Minnesota-Minneapolis, Mississippi, Missouri-St Louis, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio-Cleveland, Oklahoma, Oregon-Portland, South Carolina, South Dakota, Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Tennessee, Texas-Houston/Dallas, Utah, Virginia, Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin-Milwaukee & more...
Search career colleges in Canada by province/city in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kelowna, Surrey, Victoria, Vancouver, BC, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta, Winnipeg, Manitoba & more...
© 2003-2021 Learn4Good Ltd: Site listing Education Programs, Career Training & Jobs worldwide.