Australia Visa Requirements: Australian visa application form information on Australia visas for travel, tourist visa, visitor / transit visa, student visa. Australian embassy...
Search for Schools:
Traveler's Guide

Australia Visa Information

Learn4good provides general information on study, travel, work visa and business visa requirements and the addresses of embassies worldwide. You should contact your local embassy or consulate for the most up-to-date information or visa forms.

Who requires a visa?
Everyone travelling to Australia needs an approved travel document, visa or authority to enter Australia.

Student visa:
Any person who intends to undertake full-time study in a registered course in Australia needs to obtain a Student Visa. A Student Visa permits the holder to travel to, enter and remain in Australia for the duration of the registered course of study. Overseas students cannot undertake part-time study in Australia and must leave Australia on completion of their course of study.

What documents will be required?
To be considered for a Student Visa, you must first complete an application form (157W) which is available free of charge either from the Australian High Commission. The application form must be accompanied by the correct application fee, which should be in the form of a bank draft made payable to the Australian High Commission.

It is best to apply through a university representative as the application procedure is quite long and cumbersome. The application fee for a student (temporary) visa can be found from the official High Commission. The fee is subject to change without notice. An application will not be accepted unless it is made in the prescribed form and with the correct fee.

The fee is an immigration service charge and is non refundable irrespective of the outcome of your visa application.
Your application will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:

a) Evidence of Enrolment
One of the important requirements for a student visa application is that you must be accepted for enrolment, to undertake a course, by a Government registered Australian education institution. This is verified by the advice of acceptance from the Australian institution (commonly known as Letter of Offer), which is issued to a student who has been offered enrolment in a full-time course. You should not pay any part of the course tuition fee prior to the outcome of the PVA.

b) Bona Fides
The bona fides assessment determines whether an applicant is a genuine student who intends to undertake studies in Australia, abide by visa conditions and depart on completion of the course. This involves examining the following:
- academic performance of the applicant;
- relevance of the proposed course of the applicant’s current academic and employment circumstances;
- whether the applicant’s English language skills are adequate for the purposes of the proposed course;
- applicant’s intention to comply with visa conditions and leave Australia at the end of the authorised period of stay

c) Adequate Financial Resources
This involves an assessment of the applicant’s or his/her sponsor’s ability to finance all expenses pertaining to the applicant’s education in Australia. The factors that may be taken into account include:
- Capacity to pay for course tuition fee, return air fares to home country and all expenses (including medical insurance) associated with his/her stay in Australia;
- Applicant’s capacity to repay any loans taken to finance his/her study; and
- if the applicant is married, his/her ability to support any financially-dependent family unit members for the duration of the course.

From 26 April 2008, people granted student visas will automatically receive permission to work with their visa grant. Most student visa holders will no longer need to apply separately in Australia for permission to work.

Time required to issue visa:
As a general rule, applicants should allow a four to six week timeframe for processing of applications. Factors that may delay this processing time include:
- Medical referral to Australia and the need for any subsequent medical tests;
- Document verification including educational documents, employment references and bank statements; and
- Applications which are incomplete and require the visa office to make contact with the applicant or the applicant’s agent.

It is compulsory for all international students to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for themselves and their dependents, where applicable, for the duration of the visa. The premium for OSHC is only to be paid once the PVA requirements have been met.

What if my application is not successful?
If you have applied from outside Australia, the decision not to grant you a visa cannot be reviewed by the Migration Review Tribunal. If you have applied in Australia, you may apply to the Migration Review Tribunal for review of the decision not to grant a visa.

What is the cost of a visa?
No fees apply to students sponsored under Commonwealth approved programs and secondary exchange students.

The Student visa application charge includes an International Education Contribution of $115. This contributes to Australian Government initiatives to support international education through the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations.

Charge Type Charge Amount
Visa Application Charge $550
Permission to Work
Note:If you were granted a Student visa on or after 26 April 2008, you will already have Permission to Work automatically included with your visa.



If you were granted a Student visa before 26 April 2008 and have not yet applied for Permission to Work, you and your dependent family members may only apply for Permission to Work after you have started your course in Australia.


Online applications may be made for some Student visas. Student visa holders in Australia may apply online for permission to work.

How long is the visa valid for?
Secondary School Exchange Student visas (for students holding an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Schooling) are always valid for the length of the exchange. Other student visas are usually valid for the duration of the course plus one or two months depending on the total length of the course.

If students wish to stay longer, they will have to apply for an additional visitor visa shortly before the student visa expires.

Other information:
For skilled people to be employed in Australia on a temporary or permanent basis. Applicants for these visas seeking to work for an Australian employer must be sponsored by their employer.

Can I work in Australia?
If you were granted a Student visa on or after 26 April 2008, you will already have Permission to Work automatically included with your visa.

If you were granted a Student visa before 26 April 2008 and have not yet applied for Permission to Work, you and your dependent family members may only apply for Permission to Work after you have started your course in Australia.

Can my family visit me in Australia?
Your spouse and dependent children may be included in your application for a student visa. Your parents and other family members wishing to visit you in Australia must obtain a tourist visa.

Can I change education providers?
From 1 July 2007, student visa holders will no longer be required to lodge a change of provider application with the department.

Students intending to change education provider should contact their current education provider for information. In most circumstances the new education provider will be restricted from enrolling a student if they have not completed 6 months of their main course of study for which the visa was granted.

Can I change my course?
If you want to change to a new course at the same level of qualification, you do not need to apply for a new student visa unless your current visa is about to expire.

Important: If your new course will be with a different education provider, read the information above regarding changing education providers.

Changing level of qualification
If you want to change your level of qualification, you will need to apply for a new student visa because your visa subclass will change.
Example: You want to change from a Diploma to a PhD degree.

Can I extend my stay in Australia? If so, how?
You can only extend your stay in Australia if you do not have a 'No Further Stay' condition on your current student visa. The following table outlines your visa options to extend your stay in Australia.

Reasons for Extending Visa Options
Continue your studies Apply for a new student visa
To have your PhD thesis assessed Apply for a new student visa
Attend your graduation ceremony Apply for a visitor visa
Have a holiday Apply for a visitor visa
For work Apply for a work visa
Permanent residence in Australia Apply to become a permanent resident under the General Skilled Migration program

Can I leave Australia and re-enter?
Your student visa has been granted allowing for multiple entry. This means that you can depart Australia and re-enter using this visa whilst your visa remains valid. If you leave Australia without a valid visa you will need to re-apply overseas, pay the application charge and meet the visa requirements that are current at that time.

Can I remain permanently in Australia?
Certain overseas students in Australia who recently completed a diploma or degree after at least one year of full time study in Australia may be able to apply for:

  • Graduate - Skilled (Temporary) (Class UQ), subclass 497, or
  • Skilled Independent Overseas Student (Migrant) (Class DD), subclass 880, or
  • Skilled Australian Sponsored Overseas Student (Migrant) (Class DE), subclasses 881 or 882.

Embassy contact information:
Please contact the nearest Australian embassy for information on what documentation you may require to enter Australia. Australian Embassies Worldwide.

English Language School Australia

Disclaimer: The contents of these pages are provided as an information guide only, in good faith. The use of this website is at the viewer/user's sole risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners to this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.

Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and copyright owner/s is the:
- Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship - URL:
- Australian Embassy Germany - URL:

The viewer/user of this web page should use the above information as a guideline only, and should always contact the above sources or the user's own government representatives for the most up-to-date information at that moment in time, before making a final decision to travel to that country or destination.