Rochester Independent College, Kent:
Rochester Independent College, in the County of Kent, 35 minutes south east of London, offers a distinctive alternative to a conventional sixth form and a stepping stone between school and university. Established in 1984, we accept day students from the age of 11 and boarders from the age of 16. Students come to us from all over the UK and the world, as well as the local area. The College has an atmosphere closer to university than school where students are treated as young adults. About 65 of the College's 280 students are boarders.
- Reputation for Academic Excellence
The College's reputation for academic excellence is founded on thirty years' experience of rigorous teaching. Students come to us for a variety of reasons and from many different backgrounds.
We are not academically selective; our only entrance qualification is an honest determination to work hard. Our results however are always ranked among the best of the academically selective and students secure places at the best universities in the UK.
- Individual Attention
The average class size is eight, ensuring each students gets the individual attention they need. Many students are taking subjects / courses for the first time, others may be studying to resit exams. Direct entry into any year group is possible.
- Expert Tutors
Personal Tutors and Form Tutors work closely with students on all courses to give advice about the course combinations that will best suit their future career plans. They can also ensure that their options for the future are kept as wide as possible.
- High-quality, competitively-priced boarding – an alternative to central London
Boarding is available for A-level students and Year 11 students on GCSE courses who are aged 16 or older. The cost of being a sixth form day student at central London colleges is often close to those of being a boarder at RIC.
All of RIC’s accommodation is on campus and students do not have to travel between teaching buildings and accommodation.
Students are closely supervised, the site is totally secure and there are resident staff based in each of the buildings. As well as common rooms and study areas, boarding students have access to the College’s sports pitch, fitness centre, on site cinema, art studios and gardens.
All of our food is freshly prepared on the premises. There is always a vegetarian option and the experienced chefs also try to add as much variety as possible to the diets of any students with particular requirements.
- Day Programs (ages 11 and up)
- Full Boarding Program (ages 16 and up)
- One or two-year GCSE courses in the Lower School
- One or two-year A-level courses in Sixth Form
- Retake programs – GCSE and A level
- Medical, Dental and Vet Science Programs
- Film and Media School
- Visual and Creative Art courses
- English as a Foreign Language (EFL)
High-performing, non-selective Secondary Education:
- Classes at Rochester are characterised by the enthusiastic engagement of both students and teachers in the learning process. At A level we the average group size is eight, in the Lower School there are never more than twelve. Students sit around tables, tutorial style, rather than in regimented rows. There is no back of the class in any of our lessons at Rochester.
- The best teaching manages to be both exam focused and full of enrichment material. Our teachers aim to thoroughly prepare students for their GCSEs or A levels but also to inspire in them a thirst for learning for its own sake rather than just narrowly prescriptive examination specifications.
- A rigorous programme of regular testing underpins teaching at the College at all levels so that students are properly prepared for examinations and can approach them with confidence.
- As well as small classes tutors give freely of their time outside of lessons to see students individually and provide extra support. The College does not close at half term or during the Easter holidays and tutors are available for extra support. Student to teacher ratios are kept lower than even other independent schools.
- The College values traditional academic subjects and creative and practical subjects equally. Many of our students mix the two and successfully gain entry to top universities.
- The College has superb ICT facilities and, where useful, teachers use the latest technologies in lessons.
- Each student will be provided with a copy of the relevant syllabus or a synopsis of it at the start of the academic year, together with an indication of the expected start and finish dates for major topics/milestones. Lower School students are all issued with homework diaries which Form Tutors check weekly.
“Parents all speak highly of the pastoral care and of the growth in confidence they have noticed in their children."
- Good Schools Guide 2013
“I was so impressed with all the classes and teaching I saw and came away with a very positive view of the College, its ethos and aspirations for the students. The priority of teaching and learning was foremost and the students projected such a positive attitude towards their studies”
- Peter Read, Education Advisor
“Lessons take place around circular tables in very small classes which is great for discussion. There are no arguments, we all just get on – there is no chance for distraction.”
- RIC Year 9 Student
Rochester Independent College is in the Medway Towns in the County of Kent, situated 35 minutes south east of London - an exciting place to be in the educational field with both the University of Greenwich and the University of Kent currently moving increasing numbers of courses into their Medway campuses because of its strategically important location.
Rochester Independent College’s boarding accommodation is significantly more affordable than central London options while still being within easy reach of all the facilities the capital has to offer.
- Courses / Programs
|Address: Star Hill, Rochester, Kent, London, England ME1 1XF, UK & England|
|Search schools here by state/city for Alabama, Arizona-Phoenix, Arkansas, California-LA County/Bay Area, Colorado-Denver, Florida-Miami-Dade, Georgia-Atlanta, Illinois-Chicago/Cook County, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mass-Boston, Michigan, Minnesota-Minneapolis, Mississippi, Missouri-St Louis, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio-Cleveland, Oklahoma, Oregon-Portland, South Carolina, South Dakota, Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Tennessee, Texas-Houston/Dallas, Utah, Virginia, Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin-Milwaukee & more...
Search career colleges in Canada by province/city in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kelowna, Surrey, Victoria, Vancouver, BC, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta, Winnipeg, Manitoba & more...
© 2003-2019 Learn4Good Ltd: Site listing Education Programs, Career Training & Jobs worldwide.