Atlantic School of English & Active Leisure, Cork:
Atlantic School of English & Active Leisure is a fully accredited school operating year-round since 1999. Private, personal, and family-run, our English school is located in the picturesque village of Schull in West Cork, directly beside the Atlantic ocean on the magical Mizen Peninsula in South-West Ireland. As well as English language learning for adults, juniors and teenagers, our students can combine their studies with activities such as scuba diving, sailing, horse-riding, golf, art & craft, Irish music, dance and cookery classes. Schull is located 100km south-west of Cork City (which has an international airport and ferry terminals), and approximately 360km from Dublin.
Atlantic School Of English is recognised and meets the quality standards of the National Qualifications Authority of Ireland (ACELS) and the Department of Education & Science of Ireland.
English Language Courses:
A range of year-round English courses to adult students (18+), as well as summer English courses for juniors & teenagers (from 3-17 years old) from around the world.
Adult students can choose from flexible options and create their own programme 'a la carte', or choose an all-inclusive package.
- General English course (20 hours per week)
- General English course combined with private lessons (26 hours per week)
- Cambridge FCE, CAE & CPE exam preparation (12 weeks)
- Cambridge FCE, CAE & IELTS exam preparation (25 weeks for non-EEA students)
- Private English lessons (10 or more classes per week)
- 2-to-1 English lessons (10 or more classes per week)
- Business English Skills Training (1-week course)
- Bildungsurlaub General & Business English courses
- Mind, Body & Spirit Plan for Business English students
- General or Business English with Golf
- Special one-week English course
- HELP (Home English Language Programme) - live with your English teacher
- Homestay with local host family
- Summer ESL camps for juniors & teenagers (ages 3-8, 9-12, and 13-17)
- Year-Round English courses for juniors & teenagers
- Online English classes using Skype
- Teacher training for school teachers
- TEFL / TESOL teacher training certificate
We specialise in small group Englsh language tuition, which means that each student gets individual attention, and you can focus on the skills that you need to improve.
Our teachers use Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) techniques, which means that we adapt our teaching methods to your unique learning style.
We offer a level assessment and interview on the first day, and you then go to a class of a maximum of 6 adults. Because we limit the school size to a maximum of 20, there is a great 'family' atmosphere and lots of relaxed communication in English.
Only English is spoken at all times, during leisure activities and even at the place where you will reside.
All our teachers are qualified to a very high standard. Because we are also a teacher training centre, our own teaching methods are always being upgraded and reassessed in order to ensure our programmes are effective and successful for our students.
Atlantic S.E.A.L. is owned and managed by partners Barbara Connelly and Peter McDonnell - experienced and qualified professionals who are passionate about what they do.
With more than 20 years of experience teaching English to foreign students, Barbara is also a teacher trainer and ensures that Atlantic S.E.A.L.'s academic programmes & teaching methods are always of a high standard and regularly updated.
Peter is a Marine Biologist, a keen nature conservationist and qualified diving instructor. He manages the active leisure side of Atlantic S.E.A.L., and often gives talks on marine ecology.
Our Student Profile:
Our students come from all over the world and from many backgrounds. They all want to learn the language, live the life, and love the leisure here in the scenic setting of an English-speaking country.
With a warm and friendly classroom atmosphere, our students make great progress in their English language skills, particularly listening and speaking, even in a short time.
- Scuba Diving: Our speciality! Courses range from the beginner experience, “Discover Scuba” to more advanced courses. Exciting diving trips for qualified divers. Courses and workshops for marine ecology and conservation.
Atlantic SEAL’s own marine biologist – Peter McDonnell – takes students on educational trips by boat and on foot to learn about the local marine flora and fauna off our coast. (Age restriction applies).
- Golf: Golf Tuition with our golf tutor combines driving range with 9 hole golf course practice. For advanced players, try the prestigious 18 hole Bantry Bay Golf course.
- Horse-riding: Love horses? Try pony trekking and riding lessons at Ballycumisk stables.
- Kayaking: Lessons for beginners or experienced kayakers with a qualified team of local instructors. See our location from the sea! Special Midnight Kayaking trips on the nearby lake, Lough Hyne.
- Sailing: Learn the basics or more complex techniques at Schull Watersports Centre. Maximum 4 participants per lesson.
- Tennis: Enjoy tennis lessons and get lots of practice at Schull tennis courts.
Creative + Cultural Activities:
- Arts and Crafts: West Cork based internationally renowned artists offer small group painting lessons. Landscapes and still life, figure drawing. Learn about the use of colour, oil paint, preparing canvas and join Jason on visits to local galleries and artist studios. Craft activities include jewellery making, stone engraving & clay sculpture.
- Irish Music: Learn the flute, tin whistle, the accordion, traditional tunes on the guitar or try the Irish drum, called the bodhran.
- Irish Culture and History: A combination of historical walking tours, workshops, Irish dance. Make scones and brown bread with lessons on cooking traditional Irish food.
- Anglo-Irish Literature: Explore the works of Yeats, Joyce, Wilde, Kavanagh, Heaney, Shaw and more.
Atlantic S.E.A.L. is based in a charming traditional Irish building at the edge of Schull village in beautiful South West Cork. We have the best of both worlds - a peaceful location, an ideal learning environment, and both the Atlantic and the village just a minute's walk away.
South West Cork has been described as “the most magical place in Ireland.” It boasts a mix of mountains, moors, wild hills full of lakes, deep river valleys and dramatic cliffs overlooking the Atlantic.
Schull is located on the rugged Mizen Peninsula which is the most southernly point of the Irish mainland and is known as 'Ireland's Lands End'.
As you look out from Mizen Head -there is nothing but Atlantic between you and America! The Mizen boasts the finest cliff scenery in West Cork with panoramic views over the famous Fastnet Lighthouse.
Schull - A Picturesque Village:
Schull is an ideal setting to relax, learn and practise your English. There is a strong community life in Schull, and visitors always receive a warm welcome. There are plenty of activities for the visitor.
The lively Historical Society Group offers fun and informative walking trips. There are many empty country roads for safe cycling & planned walking routes.
Local Golf courses cater for the beginner or more experienced golfer. There are tennis & squash, courts, a planetarium & a variety of art & craft shops. There is also Pony trekking, windsurfing, sailing, and surfing.
There are year-round cultural and musical festivals organised by the local community. In addition to the small cafes & restaurants there is, of course, a fine selection of pubs offering live music nightly.
Each pub has its own character and fans of Traditional Irish, Jazz and Contemporary music will find their 'local' very quickly.
Enjoy the world famous Schull Harbour Regatta which started in 1884. Ferry boat trips to the beautiful Cape Clear or Sherkin Island leave Schull Pier daily.
Homestay accommodation is a very reasonably priced option for both adults and children, and a great way to immerse yourself in the lifestyle of the local people and practise all your English language skills after school, especially listening and speaking.
Our families are known for their friendliness and the warm hospitality that they extend to our students. There are three homestay accommodation options:
- Standard Homestay: Live in the home of a family, a couple or a single adult and enjoy breakfast and evening meal each day. Junior students receive a packed lunch too.
- Self Catering Homestay: All the benefits of living in a home of a local couple or single adult but you can use the home's facilities and cook your own food. It's the most reasonably priced option so you are independent to eat in, eat out but still have all the interaction with your English speaking host(s) and use of all the home's facilities.
- Executive Homestay: Live in the home of a family, a couple or a single adult and enjoy breakfast and evening meal each day.
Our executive hosts are usually our most experienced hosts, usually in walking distance of the village, the school etc and provide high standard of comfort in the home. But all have been hosts for a very long time and students return there year after year.
- Other Accommodation Options: Bed & Breakfast; Hotel; Holiday homes / apartments in West Cork.
"..Schull is a lovely little fishing village in the South-West-End of Ireland with kind people & it is embedded in a beautiful landscape. The teaching is done by competent teachers & the management is doing its best to make the students fine & content.
The school provides different kinds of leisure activities such as canoeing, sailing & organizes excursions to interesting places around Schull."
- Dieter & Elvira, Vienna, Austria
"It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. The stuff was excellent, the teachers were great, the place is fantastic, Barbara really cares for everyone entering the door of her learning centre. I was so happy to spend my days working for this project and Atlantic school. It was great!"
- Silvia, Italy
"I think Maria Teresa’s English has really improved during her stay, I know that the whole experience has been most pleasant and fruitful and everything was positive, beyond expectations - even the weather! I just wanted to let you know how I appreciate that. Please extend my warmest thanks to her tutor. I hope there will be other opportunities in the future..."
"I am just being honest when I tell you that yours has been the best school we have visited so far - and you know that I have been taking students to the U.K for the last 15 years.
Thank you for all your lovely, cheerful and warming effort that really made us feel at home. Parents were grateful for the great time their children had at your school and I hope you "recover from us" soon, so that you can have us again next year. Once again thanks and please, send my regards to everybody. You are so lucky to have such a wonderful team!"
- Courses / Programs
|Address: Cooradarrigan, Schull, Cork, Ireland|
|Search schools here by state/city for Alabama, Arizona-Phoenix, Arkansas, California-LA County/Bay Area, Colorado-Denver, Florida-Miami-Dade, Georgia-Atlanta, Illinois-Chicago/Cook County, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mass-Boston, Michigan, Minnesota-Minneapolis, Mississippi, Missouri-St Louis, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio-Cleveland, Oklahoma, Oregon-Portland, South Carolina, South Dakota, Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Tennessee, Texas-Houston/Dallas, Utah, Virginia, Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin-Milwaukee & more...
Search career colleges in Canada by province/city in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kelowna, Surrey, Victoria, Vancouver, BC, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta, Winnipeg, Manitoba & more...
© 2003-2023 Learn4Good Ltd: Site listing Education Programs, Career Training & Jobs worldwide.