The Athenian School, San Francisco Bay Area:
The Athenian School is an independent co-educational college preparatory school in the San Francisco Bay Area of Northern California. The school is located on a beautiful 75-acre campus at the base of Mt. Diablo in Danville, Contra Costa County. We offer a day program for Middle School students (grades 6-8) from the East Bay region and day and boarding programs for Upper School students(grades 9-12) from the US and throughout the world. Nearly 100% of the school's graduates gain admission to outstanding four-year colleges.
- The Athenian School's philosophy is guided by a strong belief in the promise of young people to shape a better world. It is based on a vision; a vibrant educational community that not only offers the core academic subjects - history, English, mathematics, science, languages, and arts - but also teaches young people to think critically and to approach learning with curiosity and resourcefulness.
- Athenian is a community that strives to uphold the ideals of democracy, responsibility, and citizenship. Students have an important voice and are challenged intellectually, creatively, personally, and socially. When they graduate, they are well prepared for the demands of higher education and for a life of challenge and purpose.
- The Athenian Middle School enrolls students from grades 6 through 8. An exhilarating energy permeates the Middle School community. This kind of learning environment has been nationally endorsed as the ideal kind of middle school experience, and Athenian serves as a model for other schools.
- The Middle School's class size averages 13 - 16 students. Small classes enable teachers to design the academic program to meet the unique needs of young adolescents. Writing and language skills are developed across the curriculum. Informal activities and school-sponsored trips enable students to know their teachers better. Teachers know each student's learning style and needs, and students learn effectively because teachers respond to them personally.
- The Athenian Upper School offers the finest college preparatory education for grades 9 through 12. The Upper School curriculum emphasizes writing, communication, and analytical skills, and focuses attention on personal growth and community awareness.
- The interdisciplinary first year Humanities Program focuses on the history, literature and art of seven major world cultures. The American Studies Program provides sophomores with enriching, coordinated American literature and history courses. Beginning with conceptual physics, laboratory science courses follow the development of skills in the mathematics curriculum.
- Students also study at least one foreign language, and extensive arts courses to develop their creativity. Juniors and seniors choose from a broad range of college style seminars in the humanities. Every discipline offers Advanced Placement or Honors classes, and concurrent enrollment in college courses can be arranged.
Co-educational Day & Boarding Programs for students in Grades 6-12:
- Middle School Day Program (Grades 6-8)
- Upper School Day & Boarding Programs (Grades 9-12)
Upper School curriculum includes:
- Foreign Languages
- Physical Education / Athletics
- Studio / Performing Arts
- Special Interest Activities
- Wilderness Experience
- Community Service
Boarding students from throughout the world live in two dormitories, housing approximately 20 students each. More than 20 faculty members live on campus, providing extraordinary guidance and support for all students.
Email: Contact Us
- Courses / Programs
|Address: 2100 Mt. Diablo Scenic Blvd, Danville, San Francisco, California , USA|
|Search schools here by state/city for Alabama, Arizona-Phoenix, Arkansas, California-LA County/Bay Area, Colorado-Denver, Florida-Miami-Dade, Georgia-Atlanta, Illinois-Chicago/Cook County, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mass-Boston, Michigan, Minnesota-Minneapolis, Mississippi, Missouri-St Louis, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio-Cleveland, Oklahoma, Oregon-Portland, South Carolina, South Dakota, Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Tennessee, Texas-Houston/Dallas, Utah, Virginia, Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin-Milwaukee & more...
Search career colleges in Canada by province/city in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kelowna, Surrey, Victoria, Vancouver, BC, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta, Winnipeg, Manitoba & more...
© 2003-2019 Learn4Good Ltd: Site listing Education Programs, Career Training & Jobs worldwide.