St. Mary's High School:
St. Mary's High School, located in Manhasset, on the North Shore of Long Island, Nassau County, New York, is a Roman Catholic, coeducational, college preparatory school serving grades 9 through 12. St. Mary's High School is conducted by dedicated Lay and Religious men and women who value their ties to the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, and the Marist Brothers and continue their commitment to preparing young men and women for college and life-long learning. While celebrating the uniqueness of each individual, our mission calls us to continue our tradition of spiritual development, academic excellence, friendship, service, responsibility, and citizenship into the twenty-first century.
The Program of Studies:
The program of studies at St. Mary's is designed to provide each student with a sound, liberal, college preparatory education. The emphasis is on fundamentals. As a result, most courses for the first two or three years are required. Within the framework of this basic curriculum, St. Mary's recognizes individual differences by providing a range of levels for many courses. In addition, juniors and seniors can select a variety of electives geared to their interests and abilities. Every effort is made to design a program for each student which will be challenging and also one in which he/she will be successful.
Depending on the subject, courses may be divided into one, two, three or four levels:
- An Advanced Placement Course (AP) is an accelerated course appropriate to some subjects, which prepares the students to take the AP Examination in this subject, through which students can earn college credit.
- An Honors Course (H) is an accelerated course appropriate to some subjects which covers the required curriculum and extra topics in greater depth and detail than in a regular course. Selection for an honors course is based on a student's ability, past achievement, and teacher recommendations.
- A Regular Course (R) is a course which covers the full curriculum of a subject. For a Regents subject this course will prepare the student to take the Regents Examination.
- A Regents Prep Course (RP) emphasizes basic skills in a subject area and prepares a student for the appropriate Regents course, if warranted. A Non-weighted Course is one, which is not added into the average or rank but does count as credit for graduation.
Regents Diploma with Advanced Designation (22 units of credit):
- English 4 units
- Social Studies 4 units
- Mathematics 3 units
- Science 3 units
- Arts 1 unit (2 -1/2 units)
- Health 1/2 unit
- Language 3 units
- Physical Education 2 units (4-1/2 units)
Passing the following Regents exams (with a grade of 65 or above)
- Comprehensive English
- Global History & Geography
- U.S. History & Government
- Math A and Math B (or Seq. 1, 2 and 3)
- Two Science Exams (one life science and one physical science)
- Foreign Language
Regents Diploma with Advanced Designation with Honors:
A grade of 90 or above on all Regents exams required for the diploma
The Guidance Department works with the students to assist them in self-understanding, as well as in understanding their relationship with their peers, and in achieving a greater sense of their social responsibility. The Peer Group Program utilizes the experience of senior students, who, under supervision of the Guidance staff, work with freshmen students in their personal, spiritual, and relational development. The College Selection Guidance Program - COIN - allows students to choose those areas of study which will be most beneficial as they move on to college and university selection. The department has a well-established reputation for its depth and experience.
Email: Contact Us
|Address: 51 Clapham Avenue, Manhasset, Nassau County, New York , USA|
|Search schools here by state/city for Alabama, Arizona-Phoenix, Arkansas, California-LA County/Bay Area, Colorado-Denver, Florida-Miami-Dade, Georgia-Atlanta, Illinois-Chicago/Cook County, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mass-Boston, Michigan, Minnesota-Minneapolis, Mississippi, Missouri-St Louis, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio-Cleveland, Oklahoma, Oregon-Portland, South Carolina, South Dakota, Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Tennessee, Texas-Houston/Dallas, Utah, Virginia, Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin-Milwaukee & more...
Search career colleges in Canada by province/city in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kelowna, Surrey, Victoria, Vancouver, BC, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta, Winnipeg, Manitoba & more...
© 2003-2020 Learn4Good Ltd: Site listing Education Programs, Career Training & Jobs worldwide.