Shelterwood is a faith-based residential treatment agency for at-risk teens located on 200 acres in Independence (14 miles East of Kansas City), Missouri. We believe that every teen was created by God and has great value and purpose. We use a multi-disciplinary approach to help teens understand their value and purpose. We have developed a multi-disciplinary approach to our highly successful relationship-based model of care.
Shelterwood a residential treatment agency for healing and educating teens that leads to restoring families and is now an approved private agency through Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE).
In addition, we are proud to be accredited by AdvancEd. In AdvancEd’s accreditation assessment, Shelterwood was described as “exceptional” in our demonstration of standards, exhibiting practices not commonly found in other schools. We’re committed to academic excellence for every Shelterwood student.
In 2016, Shelterwood received the NATSAP Gold Seal Award For Evidence-Based Outcomes. To receive this designation, a minimum of 70% of Shelterwood students and parents must participate in and complete the outcome study on an annual basis. These parameters mean we’re gathering long-term data, and seeing restoration and transformation that lasts long after a student’s departure from Shelterwood.
Shelterwood combines therapeutic care along with educational excellence to meet each teen’s emotional and educational needs. At Shelterwood,
- We implement a brain-based learning program which is proven to help teens with mild spectrum disorders and neurobehavioral disorders such as ADD-ADHD, dyslexia, and learning disabilities.
- We offer an interactive classroom setting with teachers who care, and provide an effective teacher-to-student ratio so that students receive the attention they deserve.
- Each teen receives their own support team – therapists, teachers and mentor staff – who provide evidence-based treatment for each student.
- We reside on 200 acres of land for teens to engage in outdoor activities such as camping, fishing, biking, hiking, horticulture, and rock climbing to provide a unique approach for teen wellness.
- Our licensed therapists conduct individual sessions to honor our students’ confidentiality, and experience-based group sessions to help teens interact and build trust with one another.
Shelterwood School is designed to meet academic needs of teens participating in the Shelterwood program by providing an excellent education emphasizing core curriculum and accommodating individual needs.
Our goals are for students to experience success each day and learn to take responsibility for their own educational, emotional, physical, and spiritual growth. To achieve these goals, teachers commit to the following:
- Teachers will communicate with one another, students, parents, and Shelterwood staff about students’ progress.
- Teachers will systematically administer student incentives based on school behavior, academic achievement, and overall attitude.
- Teachers will strive to discipline according to Biblical principles by clearly defining expectations and consequences.
- Teachers will pursue personal relationships with students in order to know them and encourage their progress.
Academic features include:
- Algebra 1 & 2
- Consumer Math
- US History
- World History
- English I - IV
- Earth Science
- Integrated Science
- Environmental Science
Personalized treatment within our residential setting is a critical part of the Shelterwood advantage and creates the opportunity for heart change in a teen. While other programs may rely on just one experiential opportunity to connect with teens, Shelterwood provides a toolbox of more than 10 different experiences to our therapists. Over the past 30 years, we have honed our innovative, holistic approach to therapy. We match teens with the best possible methods of intervention, making the Shelterwood therapeutic program intensely personal and purposeful.
At Shelterwood we are not limited to “talk therapy.” We incorporate a number of experiential activities that have therapeutic goals: recreation, adventure, art, gardening, performing arts and music. These different therapeutic modalities and experiential activities help Shelterwood teens uncover issues, build relationships and provide clarity for moving forward in life.
True transformation can only be demonstrated through healthy relationships. Therefore, when teens arrive at Shelterwood, they are welcomed by an incredible staff of mentors: young men and women who have dedicated a year or more of their post-college lives to live with and serve the students of Shelterwood. Our faith-based, energetic and loving staff inspires teens with motivation for true, life-long transformation.
Email: Contact Us
- Courses / Programs
|Address: 3205 North Twyman Road, Independence, Missouri, 64058, USA|
|Search schools here by state/city for Alabama, Arizona-Phoenix, Arkansas, California-LA County/Bay Area, Colorado-Denver, Florida-Miami-Dade, Georgia-Atlanta, Illinois-Chicago/Cook County, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mass-Boston, Michigan, Minnesota-Minneapolis, Mississippi, Missouri-St Louis, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio-Cleveland, Oklahoma, Oregon-Portland, South Carolina, South Dakota, Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Tennessee, Texas-Houston/Dallas, Utah, Virginia, Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin-Milwaukee & more...
Search career colleges in Canada by province/city in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kelowna, Surrey, Victoria, Vancouver, BC, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta, Winnipeg, Manitoba & more...
© 2003-2021 Learn4Good Ltd: Site listing Education Programs, Career Training & Jobs worldwide.