Therapeutic boarding schools for troubled teens & kids in New York State: Residential treatment programs for at-risk kids, boarding school for boys & girls with behavioral problems & mental health issues..
The Astor Learning Center (ALC): Located in the picturesque and historic rural village of Rhinebeck in Upstate New York, The Astor Learning Center (ALC) is a therapeutic boarding school for boys and girls ages 5-13 with serious behavioral and emotional difficulties. Just over 2 hours drive from NYC, our 15-acre campus contains the Astor Learning Center School Program, along with six residential living quarters.
Weather permitting, our students enjoy the great outdoors on a daily basis. There is a stream running through our campus and surrounding woods which provides a tranquil setting for fishing, hiking and exploring nature.
Built in 1999, our state-of-the-art school building contains a science lab and several support rooms where children can calm themselves when necessary. In addition, a playground, basketball court, baseball field and (seasonal) outdoor pool offer endless opportunities for skill building and fun.
Situated in New Lebanon, a town in Columbia County NY, Darrow School is a co-educational college preparatory boarding & day school for students in Grades 9-12. We provide a challenging, hands-on college preparatory curriculum with a student/teacher ratio of 5:1.
At Darrow, we are dedicated to serving students with diverse backgrounds and abilities, building on each student’s individual talents and interests to inspire enduring confidence for success in college and life.
Darrow’s student residences offer a cozy, home-like setting. Most student rooms are doubles, and in addition to sharing a room, each student gets in the habit of neatening up to pass room inspection.
Located on a secure 365-acre campus, we have 26 school and boarding buildings, playing fields, extensive hiking and cross-country ski trails, ponds, sheep pastures, orchards, marshlands, and an expansive forest.
Located in Amenia, Dutchess County NY, The Kildonan School is an accredited, co-educational day and boarding school for children and teenagers with dyslexia and language-based learning differences.
Only 90 miles north of New York City, we offer educational programs for elementary, middle and high school students (Grades 2-12). Boarding programs are available for students in grades 7-12, with 5-day & 7-day options available.
Our mission is to empower students with dyslexia by increasing their self-esteem and motivation. Students often come to us from educational experiences where they struggled to find success because that environment did not recognize their potential and/or know how to meet their needs.
Kildonan uses a pure Orton-Gillingham approach, which is an instructional approach intended primarily for use with persons who have difficulty with reading, spelling, and writing of the sort associated with dyslexia.
Founded in 1796, Oakwood Friends School is New York State's oldest co-educational boarding and day school. We are an independent college preparatory school serving Grades 6-12 located in Poughkeepsie, Dutchess County in New York's historic Hudson River Valley.
Our Day Program runs for all students from grades 6-12, while our Boarding Program serves students in Grades 9-12.
Our residential community on campus numbers over 100 students and faculty. Boarding students are housed in three dormitories across the campus.
Oakwood Friends School focuses on the individual learner and on cultivating a diversified community of students and staff in an atmosphere of mutual respect and enrichment.
As a Quaker school, Oakwood gives every student an important voice in the life of our school community. We want students to get to know themselves, build a strong personal identity, develop healthy friendships, and gain leadership skills.
The Stony Brook School, located in Stony Brook (50 miles East of NYC), on the beautiful north shore of Long Island, New York, is a college preparatory, co-educational boarding and day school for grades 7-12.
SBS is home to approximately 180 boarders every year. Our desire is for our students to learn and grow as they live together in a safe and comfortable community. There are currently 7 single-gender residential halls that house our boarding students and approximately 14 to 15 faculty families.
Students are trained to be leaders with integrity and virtue. The Stony Brook School offers an academic program that is challenging, comprehensive, and that recognizes the interconnected-ness of academic disciplines. Students are encouraged to ask questions, to think independently, and to write well.
The Storm King School is a college preparatory boarding and day school (Grades 8-12), located on the crest of Storm King Mountain in the Hudson Valley, one hour north of New York City.
Founded in 1867, The Storm King School celebrates a long tradition of helping students translate potential into success.
We do so through academic classes (including 10 AP classes and support for students with learning differences and the gifted), fine and performing arts with state-of-the-art facilities (including a 230-seat theatre), competitive sports and activities, outdoor adventure and extracurricular activities.
The Storm King School has a teacher to student ratio of 1:5 and a 100% college acceptance rate.
Accredited Co-educational College Preparatory Curriculum:
- Boarding program for students in Grades 8-12
- Day program for students in Grades 8-12
Core Subjects Include:
- History (including US History)
- ESL History
- Foreign Languages
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Performing Arts (theater, music, dance)
- Visual Arts (fine arts, digital design, photography, video and music production)
- Outdoor Adventure
• THINK Global School (TGS) is an IB-authorized traveling high school. There is no other school like TGS on the planet.
• THINK Global School provides high school students with a once-in-a-lifetime educational experience centered around travel and cultural immersion.
• We offer students ages 14-18 from the U.S. and around the globe the opportunity for a life-changing journey. Students explore the world, studying in three new international cities each academic year.
• TGS students are competitively selected from all regions and all walks of life. Together they are a miniature United Nations, representing over 20 different countries of citizenship, and a diverse range of experiences, talents and interests.
• TGS has been authorized as an official IB World School by the International Baccalaureate Organization, and is accredited by the U.S.-based Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
TGS's Current & Previous School Locations around the world:
- 2017-18: Botswana, India, Japan & Spain
- 2016-17: Canada, Morocco & Peru
- 2015-16: Sweden, Bosnia & Italy
- 2014-15: New Zealand, Costa Rica, Greece
- 2013-14: India, Tanzania, Japan
- 2012-13: Argentina, Bhutan, USA
- 2011-12: Ecuador, Thailand, Germany
- 2010-11: Sweden, Australia, China
"The collective energy that the students at THINK Global School possess is remarkable. Somehow, the more places they go and things they do, the more energy they have!… It is such an inspiration!"
- TGS Residential Advisor
• International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program for Grades 11-12
The school year consists of three terms, each held in a different country, where students have the chance to explore the history and culture of fantastic locations worldwide.
• Taught in small classes by friendly, dedicated and experienced teachers
• Student-driven instruction
• All subjects are inspired by the location, and are designed to combine learning with a wealth of cultural experiences.