Fenster School, Tucson:
Founded in 1944, Fenster School is a coeducational, college preparatory, boarding and day school in Tucson, Arizona, enrolling students in grades 9 through Post-graduate from across the country and around the world. We educate students in a healthy, safe, and structured environment where intellectual, social, and emotional learning are equally valued and each individual can realize their potential, grow in self-confidence, and develop an active sense of responsibility in preparation for college and life.
- Our entire program, including behavioral expectations, is based on the five essential core values of integrity, respect, responsibility, compassion, and health and safety.
- These values are integrated into every aspect of our school culture and are reinforced each day beginning with morning meeting, a community gathering.
- Our daily schedule is intentionally designed and deliberately structured to meet the needs of a diversity of learning styles, while also attending to the social and emotional, as well as the physical, growth of our students as they prepare for college and life. It includes:
- Three extended class periods per day: which allow for greater student and teacher focus; permit our highly trained faculty to utilize several different activities in order to meet the learning needs of each student; and further deeper and more lasting learning results and a subsequent growth in self-confidence.
- The morning period: which provides a time, between the first and second class periods, for extra help (required or voluntary), a meeting with the college counselor or a college representative, quiet study, and a healthy snack.
- Seminar series: which affords each grade level a weekly seminar focused on life skills and health and human development. Much of the seminar curriculum is based on recommendations from the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL.org).
- Clubs and student activities: which offer students the opportunity to discover new interests, to expand on their passions, and to develop leadership skills.
- Sports/physical activities: (required) which ensure the physical health and well-being of every student. Our physical activities take advantage of our unique location and include outdoor pursuits such as hiking, mountain biking, and a high ropes course.
- Academic tables: which give students needing more structure and assistance an evening study hall monitored by faculty.
- Accredited by North Central Association of Colleges & Schools
- Member of National Association of Independent Schools
- Member of The Association of Boarding Schools
- Member of the School Scholarship Service
- Member of the Seondary School Admission Test Board
- Member of Western Boarding Schools Association
Co-educational Boarding & Day School Programs for students in Grades 9-12:
Through small classes, an intentionally designed daily schedule, and encouraging adult mentors, Fenster offers a structured learning environment that promotes student success.
- Day programs
- Boarding / Residential programs
- Postgraduate Year program
- ESL English Language program
- College Credit programs for Juniors & Seniors
Nestled in the foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains, the School’s 150 acre campus is surrounded by the beauty and warmth of the Sonoran Desert.
The lush desert environment sustains many varieties of plant and animal life unique to this region and the Santa Catalina Mountain offer canyons, creeks, and waterfalls to explore, as well as Mount Lemmon, the country’s southern most ski area.
Near the rustic adobe buildings of the campus lie ancient Hohokam Indian archaeological sites. Centuries ago, despite harsh desert living, this site flourished as a Hohokam community.
Fenster is close knit school of students, faculty, and staff working and living together. Becoming part of this community is an integral aspect of the Fenster experience.
We believe daily physical exercise is essential for healthy adolescent development. Consequently, every weekday afternoon time is set side for students to participate in a team sport or a physical activity. This participation is required.
In recent years, the School has fielded teams in basketball, flag football, soccer, and volleyball and, given our small size, our interscholastic teams can accommodate all interested athletes.
Teams compete against other small high schools in the state of Arizona and our teams have gone on to regional and state tournaments. Our experienced coaches not only emphasize skill development, but also teamwork and sportsmanship.
We also offer other physical activities, both on and off campus, that take advantage of our location. Our warm, dry climate allows for outdoor recreation almost every day of the year. On campus activities include a climbing wall and ropes course, an equestrian program, a pool for recreational swimming, water polo and water volleyball, spinning, and weight lifting. Nearby Sabino Canyon offers hiking, mountain biking, and rock climbing.
Fenster’s combined rural/urban location affords many opportunities for weekend activities. From exploring the Sabino Canyon recreation area to sampling the many offerings of Tucson from art galleries to museums, movies to shopping, and symphonies to theater, Fenster students can enjoy it all.
We believe in offering students opportunities to discover new interests and to develop existing passions. Consequently, every weekday afternoon time is set aside for clubs and activities and participation is required.
Club and activity offerings are determined by student and faculty interest. The following is a sampling of these offerings:
- Art and Photography
- Books and Movies
- Community Government
- Cooking Club
- Composting, Ecology and Garden Club
- Fun with Words and Games
- Live Music Club
- Outdoor Club - Climbing Wall, Hiking, Ropes Course, Mountain Biking
- Political Science Club
- Spanish Club
- Student Newspaper
- Tour Guides
Email: Contact Us
- Courses / Programs
|Address: 8505 Ocotillo Drive, Tucson, Arizona , USA|
|Search schools here by state/city for Alabama, Arizona-Phoenix, Arkansas, California-LA County/Bay Area, Colorado-Denver, Florida-Miami-Dade, Georgia-Atlanta, Illinois-Chicago/Cook County, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mass-Boston, Michigan, Minnesota-Minneapolis, Mississippi, Missouri-St Louis, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio-Cleveland, Oklahoma, Oregon-Portland, South Carolina, South Dakota, Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Tennessee, Texas-Houston/Dallas, Utah, Virginia, Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin-Milwaukee & more...
Search career colleges in Canada by province/city in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kelowna, Surrey, Victoria, Vancouver, BC, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta, Winnipeg, Manitoba & more...
© 2003-2020 Learn4Good Ltd: Site listing Education Programs, Career Training & Jobs worldwide.