Netherlands Visa Requirement, Holland Visas, Amsterdam Visa Requirements, Dutch NUFFIC (NESO) Certificate, Netherlands Immigration, Holland Residency, Dutch Law Regulations, Residence Permit & Work Permit Application, Study in Holland...
Search for Schools:

Working while studying in the Netherlands - 30 August 2010

Foreign students who would like to take paid work alongside their studies are allowed to do so. Depending on your nationality you can only do this for a limited amount of hours per week and only if the employer has applied for a work permit for you.

Work Permit (tewerkstellingsvergunning, TWV)
Dutch employers who want to employ foreigners in the Netherlands need work permits in most cases. Only residents with an EU, EEA or Swiss nationality, excluding Bulgarians and Romanians, can work without their employer obtaining a work permit for them.
Your employer must apply for the work permit at the UWV Werkbedrijf in Zoetermeer. It will take about five weeks before a decision has been taken. You are not allowed to start work before a work permit has been granted, otherwise your employer risks being fined.

Do you need a work permit when you are a student and do a traineeship?
If you are enrolled as a student in the Netherlands or in another country, you may work as a trainee. A traineeship is any work placement or practical training arrangement that aims to give you experience of the world of work while you are studying. If you have already graduated, you will not be able to work as a trainee in the Netherlands. However, there is a similar arrangement that allows you to gain practical work experience in the Netherlands for up to six months. This is called residency with the purpose of work experience.

To find out in which case your employer needs to apply for a work permit for you, read the factsheet ‘immigration procedures for foreign students doing a traineeship’ available from the Netherlands organization for international cooperation in higher education.

Work alongside your studies
If you are a foreign student (non-EU/EEA/Swiss) and you have a valid residence permit with the aim to study, you can work alongside your studies. This can be either full-time seasonal work in June, July and August, or part-time work of no more than ten hours a week outside the summer period. Under those restrictions your Dutch employer does need to apply for a work permit for you, but this is an easy process as the employer does not need to prove that there are no Dutch or EU/EEA/Swiss nationals capable of doing the job.
- EU/EEA/Swiss nationals:
You are free to work as many hours as you like alongside your studies. Your employer does not need to have a work permit for you.
- Bulgarian and Romanian nationals:
The rules are a bit different for these nationals (at least until 2012). If you are a student from one of these countries you are allowed to work as many hours as you like alongside your studies. However, the employer does need a work permit and needs to show that there are no Dutch or EU/EEA/Swiss nationals capable of doing the job. This is a difficult process. Therefore, we advise you to work no more than ten hours per week outside the summer period, or full-time during the summer months June, July and August. If you adhere to that, the process to obtain a work permit will be easier.


Visit the following pages for detailed information on NUFFIC (NESO)
How to register for a NUFFIC (NESO) Certificate?
How to submit documents for a NUFFIC (NESO) Certificate?
When to apply for a Nuffic (Neso) Certificate?
Fees payable for a NUFFIC (NESO) Certificate
Nuffic (Neso) Certificate
Apply for Nuffic (Neso)/ Nuffic (Neso) Application
Netherlands Visa regulations
Visa application group A
Visa application group B
Visa application group C
Visa application group D
Visa application group E
Health Insurance
Document Verification
Registration with Municipality
Registration with Aliens Police
Registration with University
Residence permit
Short Stay permit
Temporary stay visa
Work Permit

Disclaimer: The contents of these pages are provided as an information guide only, in good faith. The use of this website is at the viewer/user's sole risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners to this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.

Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and copyright owner/s is the:
- Netherlands organization for international cooperation in higher education -

The viewer/user of this web page should use the above information as a guideline only, and should always contact the above sources or the user's own government representatives for the most up-to-date information at that moment in time, before making a final decision to travel to that country or destination.

Sponsored Links
Traveler's Guide
Sponsored Links