Netherlands Visa Requirement, Holland Visas, Amsterdam Visa Requirements, Dutch NUFFIC (NESO) Certificate, Netherlands Immigration, Holland Residency, Dutch Law Regulations, Residence Permit & Work Permit Application, Study in Holland..
Search for Schools:

Temporary Stay or Long Stay in Netherlands (machtiging tot voorlopig verblijf: MVV) - 02 August 2010

If you will be staying for longer than three months (90 days), you might need a provisional residence permit (‘Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf or MVV’) to enter the Netherlands. This is a sticker placed in your passport at the Dutch embassy or consulate in your home country or in a third country where you are legally residing.

In most cases, your Dutch host institution will seek advice from the IND concerning your application for an MVV. It is important that you provide them with all the necessary documents so they can request the advice in good time. If the advice of the Dutch Immigration Service (IND) is favourable, you then have to apply for the actual MVV yourself at the Dutch embassy or consulate in your home country, or in the country in which you legally reside. The Dutch embassy or consulate will then issue you with the MVV in the form of a sticker placed in your passport. Until August 2008, it is also possible to apply for an MVV yourself without the help of your host institution. However, this procedure takes much longer and is more expensive.

Entry Visa (MVV)
Long stay visa: Provisional residence permit (in Dutch: MVV)
A provisional residence permit is a visa that mentions ‘D’ for type of visa. Healthcare insurance is required when collecting this type of visa.
A MVV is a visa to enter the country; it is a sticker in your passport issued by the Dutch Embassy or Consulate.
*Note that it is NOT a residence permit.

Once the MVV has been approved by the authorities, you will be asked to choose between two different types of MVV at the Dutch embassy/consulate:

• Type D: Valid for one entry
• Type D: with multiple entries. This option is recommended.

The type D/multiple entry visa allows you to travel within the Schengen countries. With multiple entries you can also travel outside the Schengen countries and re-enter several times.

Starting from the date on which the IND authorized the embassy or consulate to issue the MVV to you, you have six months to go to the embassy or consulate to apply for your MVV. The embassy will be able to tell you how long it will take before you can pick up your MVV. When you receive your MVV, it will be valid for another six months. You may travel to the Netherlands during this period of six months. Once you have entered the Netherlands your institution will apply for a residence permit.

Please note that the MVV is only valid for 90 days from the date you entered the Netherlands or one of the Schengen countries ( but not longer then the expiry date). You will get a date stamp in your passport at the border of the airport.

How to apply for a MVV?
A MVV procedure can either be started by the referent in the Netherlands or by the applicant at the Embassy in his/her country of origin or country of legal residence.
Processing your application will take time. It is therefore important that you apply for the temporary residence permit at least three months prior to your intended stay in the Netherlands. Each applicant needs to apply in person. Postal applications cannot be accepted.
The handling fee for an MVV application has to be paid directly to account of the IND in the Netherlands. The fee has to be paid in euro's and all bank charges are for the account of the applicant.

Appointments for MVV applications should be made with either the visa section of the Netherlands Embassy in London or with a Netherlands consulate. It is not possible to sumbit an application for an MVV at the Netherlands Visa Application Centre.
Please note that once your application is lodged you cannot apply for any Schengen visa nor travel to any of the Schengen countries until a decision has been taken on your MVV/residence request.

Documents required
– a valid passport
– a letter or other document from the Dutch host institution stating that you are or will be enrolled as a student, or that you are going to do a traineeship
– proof that you can support yourself financially
– the required fees are paid
– a copy of the application for a work permit, if applicable
– for Chinese students, a Nuffic (Neso) certificate may be necessary

Please notice:
when picking up your MVV, the embassy may ask you for a legalized birth certificate in addition to your passport as identification. It’s advisable to have a legalized birth certificate ready, as most likely you will be asked for it after your arrival in the Netherlands, when registering at the municipality.


Visit the following pages for detailed information on NUFFIC (NESO)
How to register for a NUFFIC (NESO) Certificate?
How to submit documents for a NUFFIC (NESO) Certificate?
When to apply for a Nuffic (Neso) Certificate?
Fees payable for a NUFFIC (NESO) Certificate
Nuffic (Neso) Certificate
Apply for Nuffic (Neso)/ Nuffic (Neso) Application
Netherlands Visa regulations
Visa application group A
Visa application group B
Visa application group C
Visa application group D
Visa application group E
Health Insurance
Document Verification
Registration with Municipality
Registration with Aliens Police
Registration with University
Residence permit
Short Stay permit
Temporary stay visa
Work Permit


Latest Dutch schools & colleges to join Learn4good:Location
The BSN Language Centre, The HagueThe Hague, Netherlands
Kickstart School, The HagueThe Hague, Netherlands
BSN Language Centre, The HagueThe Hague, Netherlands
Direct Dutch, The HagueThe Hague, Netherlands
The BSN Language Centre, The HagueThe Hague, Netherlands
International College Of CommerceAmsterdam, Netherlands
Dutch Courses AmsterdamAmsterdam, Netherlands
Online English Level TestThe Hague, Netherlands
Tulp EducatieRotterdam, Netherlands
Dutch Language Institute ITHA, RotterdamRotterdam, Netherlands
Euro MBA ConsortiumMaastricht, Netherlands
Albert Einstein International School, AmstelveenAmsterdam, Netherlands

Disclaimer: The contents of these pages are provided as an information guide only, in good faith. The use of this website is at the viewer/user's sole risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners to this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.

Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and copyright owner/s is the:
- Netherlands organization for international cooperation in higher education -

The viewer/user of this web page should use the above information as a guideline only, and should always contact the above sources or the user's own government representatives for the most up-to-date information at that moment in time, before making a final decision to travel to that country or destination.

Sponsored Links
Traveler's Guide
Sponsored Links