Netherlands Visa Requirement, Holland Visas, Amsterdam Visa Requirements, Dutch NUFFIC (NESO) Certificate, Netherlands Immigration, Holland Residency, Dutch Law Regulations, Residence Permit & Work Permit Application, Study in Holland...
Search for Schools:

Netherlands Visa & Immigration Procedures for Group C Countries - 28 February 2008

Guide to Immigration Procedures for Students from:
Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea, USA and Vatican City State.

Entry visa: You do not need a visa to enter the Netherlands, neither for a short, nor for a long stay. Citizens from Japan, Canada, the United States of America, Australia, New Zealand, Vatican City State, South Korea and Monaco need to have a valid passport to enter the Netherlands.

Formalities on arrival - If your stay will exceed 3 months, you are required to make an appointment with the local administration (De Stadswinkel) within 3 days of your arrival in the Netherlands in order to register yourself. Also shortly after your arrival you will need to apply for a residence permit, called a Verblijfsvergunning voor bepaalde tijd regulier: VVR. This can be done via the University (International Office).

The residence permit for students is valid for a maximum of 12 months (there is a legal fee involved). If your stay in the Netherlands will last longer than 12 months, you will have to obtain an extension. There is a charge for it, if you are a student, and you must once more prove to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) that you are enrolled at a Dutch educational institution for the period concerned, that you have enough money to live on, and that you have adequate health insurance. If your stay is shorter than 3 months, you must report online to the Aliens Police Registration Department within 3 days of your arrival in the Netherlands. Read how to report to the Aliens Police.

- For a stay of more than four months: You are required to register with the local municipality
- For a stay of more than three months: You must get a residence permit.

Work permit (Tewerkstellingsvergunning: TWV)
You do need a work permit before you may work in the Netherlands. Students with a residence permit for study purposes may earn money on the side as long as the work is either seasonal (in June, July and/or August) or adds up to less than ten hours a week. The employer must apply for your work permit.

If you have a residence permit for study purposes you may earn money on the side. Such work must be either seasonal (in June, July and/or August) or comprise no more than ten hours a week. Also in this case, your employer must apply for a work permit for you, but simplified rules apply according to the Dutch Foreign Labour Act (Wet arbeid vreemdelingen, Wav).

Registering with the university
You need to register at your host institution (university or university of applied sciences) when you arrive, not only for getting your class schedules, but also to comply with immigration procedures. Depending on the length of your stay, the host institution will want to see proof that you have reported to the Aliens Police/the municipality and, if applicable, applied for a residence permit.

Health insurance
You must be insured against the costs of medical treatment. This is a requirement under Dutch law.


Visit the following pages for detailed information on NUFFIC (NESO)
How to register for a NUFFIC (NESO) Certificate?
How to submit documents for a NUFFIC (NESO) Certificate?
When to apply for a Nuffic (Neso) Certificate?
Fees payable for a NUFFIC (NESO) Certificate
Nuffic (Neso) Certificate
Apply for Nuffic (Neso)/ Nuffic (Neso) Application
Netherlands Visa regulations
Visa application group A
Visa application group B
Visa application group C
Visa application group D
Visa application group E
Health Insurance
Document Verification
Registration with Municipality
Registration with Aliens Police
Registration with University
Residence permit
Short Stay permit
Temporary stay visa
Work Permit


Latest Dutch schools & colleges to join Learn4good:Location
Direct Dutch, The HagueThe Hague, Netherlands
The BSN Language Centre, The HagueThe Hague, Netherlands
Kickstart School, The HagueThe Hague, Netherlands
BSN Language Centre, The HagueThe Hague, Netherlands
The BSN Language Centre, The HagueThe Hague, Netherlands
International School Eerde, OmmenZwolle, Netherlands
British Language Training CentreAmsterdam, Netherlands
International School For Humanities And Social Sciences, AmsterdamAmsterdam, Netherlands
Delft University of Technology, Faculty of Applied SciencesDelft, Netherlands
Koentact Language School, AmsterdamAmsterdam, Netherlands
Albert Einstein International School, AmstelveenAmsterdam, Netherlands
Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus UniversityRotterdam, Netherlands

Disclaimer: The contents of these pages are provided as an information guide only, in good faith. The use of this website is at the viewer/user's sole risk. While every effort is made in presenting up-to-date and accurate information, no responsibility or liability is accepted by the owners to this website for any errors, omissions, outdated or misleading information on these pages or any site to which these pages connect or are linked.

Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and copyright owner/s is the:
- Netherlands organization for international cooperation in higher education -

The viewer/user of this web page should use the above information as a guideline only, and should always contact the above sources or the user's own government representatives for the most up-to-date information at that moment in time, before making a final decision to travel to that country or destination.

Sponsored Links
Traveler's Guide
Sponsored Links