Located just to the west of Land O' Lakes, Wisconsin, Conserve School is a non-sectarian semester school for high school juniors that focuses on environmental education. Semester school is a term used to describe a boarding school that complements a student’s secondary education by providing them with the opportunity to step out of their regular school for half an academic year and step into a uniquely different educational setting while continuing their required academic studies.
Conserve School inspires young people to environmental stewardship through academics and engagement with the forests, lakes, and wildlife of Lowenwood.
A semester at Conserve School is truly a one-of-a-kind opportunity for high school juniors to challenge their minds, sharpen their academic skills, stretch their muscles, and get their hands dirty while learning to be stewards of our precious Earth.
Conserve School carries forward Jim Lowenstine’s legacy by providing a diverse group of young people with a residential academic setting that fosters:
- understanding of the science of natural resource conservation,
- commitment to protecting the environment,
- an inclination toward careers that help preserve the natural world,
- enjoyment of outdoor activities, and
- love and respect for nature.
Our courses are taught by experienced and multi-talented teachers who are passionate about education, are experts in their fields, and enjoy collaborating with young people. All our teachers hold advanced degrees.
Our faculty also includes several instructors who are part of a master’s degree program through the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point College of Natural Resources. These instructors teach outdoor skills and supervise residential and extracurricular life.
- Environmental Science (Applied Ecology and Sustainable Systems)
- Advanced Topics in English (Wilderness Voices: American Literature and the Land)
- Advanced Topics in History (History of Wilderness Exploration: the Northwoods and Beyond)
- Physical Education (Pack, Pedal, and Paddle: Outdoor Skills and Activities)
- Electives and Online Courses...
Semester school is a term used to describe a boarding school that complements a student’s secondary education by providing them with the opportunity to step out of their regular school for half an academic year and step into a uniquely different educational setting while continuing their required academic studies. The academic curriculum at semester schools tends to be college preparatory, interdisciplinary, and experiential.
Typical Semester School Characteristics:
- Semester school curricula are built around themes including environmental sustainability, marine ecology, organic farming, ethics and leadership, visual arts, and others. The curricula tend to be place-based drawing on the resources and opportunities of each school's unique location.
- Semester schools are boarding schools. Community living is a key element of the experience. Through living closely with peers and teachers and working together to benefit the school community students develop their communication, leadership, and cooperative skills.
- Semester school programs run from 14 to 18 weeks.
- Semester schools tend to be small, enrolling from 15 to 60 students a semester with average class sizes ranging from 5 to 15 students.
- Semester schools are private schools that charge tuition and offer financial aid. Depending on the school and a student’s family situation the cost can range from no cost to several thousands of dollars.
Email: Contact Us
- Courses / Programs
|Address: 5400 North Black Oak Lake Road, Land O' Lakes, Vilas County, Wisconsin , USA|
|Search schools here by state/city for Alabama, Arizona-Phoenix, Arkansas, California-LA County/Bay Area, Colorado-Denver, Florida-Miami-Dade, Georgia-Atlanta, Illinois-Chicago/Cook County, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mass-Boston, Michigan, Minnesota-Minneapolis, Mississippi, Missouri-St Louis, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio-Cleveland, Oklahoma, Oregon-Portland, South Carolina, South Dakota, Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Tennessee, Texas-Houston/Dallas, Utah, Virginia, Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin-Milwaukee & more...
Search career colleges in Canada by province/city in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kelowna, Surrey, Victoria, Vancouver, BC, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta, Winnipeg, Manitoba & more...
© 2003-2020 Learn4Good Ltd: Site listing Education Programs, Career Training & Jobs worldwide.