Visual arts schools in Australia: Art degree in Sydney, NSW, master of fine arts (MFA), bachelor's degree course in visual arts. Master's programs in digital media, film, studio art, undergraduate & postgraduate art education for Australian & international students.
Sydney College of the Arts: Sydney College of the Arts (SCA) is the visual arts faculty of the University of Sydney. SCA is a premier provider of contemporary art education and research around the world offering undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses in contemporary visual arts for both Australian and international students. Leading the research and practice of contemporary art in Australia since 1976, SCA delivers innovative educational programs that support the professional success of graduates. A faculty of the University of Sydney, SCA continues the tradition of academic excellence associated with Australia’s most established educational institution.
Undergraduate & Postgraduate Degree Courses in Visual Arts:
Sydney College of the Arts offers a friendly, supportive and stimulating environment to all students interested in studying visual art. The educational programs are studio-based and facilities include computer and multimedia laboratories, print, clay, glass, wood and metal workshops, film / video & sound production and editing facilities, SCA Gallery, SCA library and several student exhibition spaces. Undergraduate Degree Program - Bachelor of Visual Arts: - The Bachelor of Visual Arts (BVA) is three-year undergraduate degree program for those wishing to establish a practice in the contemporary visual arts, with the option of an honours degree also available.
First Year (Foundation Year): The Foundation Year of the BVA is a vibrant mixture of interdisciplinary and studio specific subjects that develop students theoretical and critical awareness of contemporary art practice and expand their ideas and concepts about their work. In this program students learn about appropriate materials and methods for their work and develop the technical skills required to make and document it successfully.
The interdisciplinary subjects are the main focus of the program and include Foundation Concepts and Artists Research Workshops (Research A and B), a Drawing program (Computer, Experimental and Life/Observational) and Theories of Art Practice. Studio discipline specific subjects from semester one onwards include time each week in the student's chosen Studio major and a Studio theory class.
In the foundation concepts program, each student will consider the themes of Time Space and Light through a program of 3 six week blocks over first and second semester. The final block will be focused on increased studio classes prior to movement into 2nd year.
Second & Third Year: Expands the understanding of visual arts through studio based practice and studio and core theory subjects. Students undertake specialist study in a single studio and develop their art practice through structured group and self directed projects. Students may also choose a broader interdisciplinary study within the faculty or other parts of the University.
The Theories of Art Practice program provides a theoretical and historical understanding of contemporary art practice and encourage students can place their own studio practice in context.
* Honours Degree Program: For students who have completed three years of an undergraduate visual arts degree, the honours program is a one-year research-intensive program that consolidates professional practice and prepares students for further research study.
Postgraduate Degree Programs:
- Master of Film and Digital Image (MFDI): The MFDI is a professional development degree designed for filmmakers and artists who want the opportunity to develop their own creative projects and acquire new hands-on skills in digital filmmaking. The MFDI is offered full time over one year or part time over two years. Enrolments are accepted each semester.
- Master of Interactive and Digital Media (MIDM): The MIDM is a professional development degree designed to provide the conceptual and technical skills associated with the design, development and implementation of interactive websites and screen-based applications. The course is intended for people with some knowledge of digital media who hold an undergraduate degree or equivalent professional experience and who wish to upgrade or consolidate their skills for personal and / or professional reasons.
The MIDM is a one-year full time course structured over two semesters that may be undertaken on a part-time basis.
- Master of Studio Art (MSA): The MSA is a professional development program for visual artists designed to provide conceptual and technical skills to consolidate and extend their contemporary art or design practice. Students propose and develop a self-initiated visual arts project based in one major studio area.
The MSA is offered full time over one year or part time over two years. Students have access to the studio facilities outside class hours. Enrolments are accepted each semester.
- Master of Fine Arts (MFA): The MFA is designed to provide visual artists with the opportunity to extend their professional practice through advanced research in one or more SCA studio area. Candidates develop a level of proficiency, self-direction and focus through investigating a proposed area of research to produce work of an original and speculative nature. The MFA is a two-year full-time program. - Doctor of Philosophy: The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is designed to engage visual artists in independent research that constitutes an original contribution to the understanding of contemporary visual arts.
The PhD program provides candidates with a critical and intellectual focus to explore a single proposed research topic full-time over three to four years. Candidate’s research may reflect a critical exploration of the history, theory and practice of visual art; the development of new materials or technologies; the relationship between visual art and society; or the relationship between visual art and other disciplines.
Short Courses: Specialist short courses in visual art are sometimes available.
Sydney is the perfect place to learn photography. Join Andy Piggott, a professional photographer since 1981, for a few hours at his studio in North Sydney and you will come away a more confident photographer. Not bought your camera yet? DSLR Cameras can be borrowed for the classes. Digital photography is an exciting way be creative, capture memories and to have fun! Andy Piggott is passionate about photography and would like to help make you a more confident photographer.
Photography workshops are a great way to improve your picture taking skills and learn new techniques while having fun. You may be planning a big trip and want to make sure you come back with the best possible travel shots. Travel photography is his specialist subject and he can give you a lot of advice on gear, locations, techniques and tips for better travel photography. Private Lessons for intensive learning are available when you need to make progress as rapidly as possible. You can choose exactly what aspects of photography are covered.
• Study for 1, 2 or 3 semesters at the UK’s No. 1 arts university!
• Arts University Bournemouth (AUB) is a leading university specialising in arts, performance, design, and media education. Easily accessible less than 2 hours south of London by train, AUB provides study abroad BA (Hons) courses for international students and professionals who wish to spend time abroad in pursuit of careers in creative arts, graphic design, interior design, textiles, fashion, makeup, animation, visual communication, event management, architecture, dance, acting, film production, photography, & more.
• Our short study abroad courses are designed for students who want to spend time learning in the UK, developing their creative skills and perhaps gaining credits towards their university degree, but do not necessarily want to spend as much as 2-3 years studying in the UK.
• Students are fully integrated with our full-time BA (Hons) degree students, and these courses can be taken for 1 term, 2 terms, or 3 terms.
• If you can't find the exact course you want, we can design a course tailored to your individual needs. You can join several groups of students on a range of different courses and also receive one-to-one tuition.
• We also provide summer study abroad programs.
"The facilities that the Arts University Bournemouth has to offer are absolutely amazing. First off, the library was one of the most resourceful places I have come across in my entire stay there." - Orlando, USA, Animation Production
London Art Portfolio - Courses in UK & ONLINE Worldwide
Courses / Programs
• London Art Portfolio provides successful Art and Design portfolio preparation courses and foundation courses in Central London & ONLINE in all areas of fine art and design to students from Australia & around the world - at all levels. We help to prepare you for University applications, professional interviews, or your personal development!
• Prepare for entry to a Masters Degree, Bachelor Degree, Foundation Diploma or Pre-Degree level course in Art and Design.
• We ensure successful placements at all levels, including onto University of the Arts London, UCA & other renowned art colleges & universities in the UK, USA & around the world.
• London Art Portfolio is run by Julia Dennis, a practicing artist with many years of experience in preparing art and design portfolios for degree applications, organising exhibitions and preparing students for interviews.
• Julia has great success in placing British and international students onto the right course, at the right level, at any stage in your career.
• Small class sizes with personal, tailored service year-round.
"Central Saint Martins has offered me a place on Foundation Pathway: Graphic Design. I'm so happy! Thank you so much for your guidance and all heart that you put in to help me out." - Aleksandra, Poland
"At the end of the course, I had an interview at the London College of Fashion and was accepted! It was a great victory & I owe a lot to London Art Portfolio! Thank you very much!" - Paola, Italy
Set in the artistic hub of Collingwood in Melbourne, Australia, Latrobe College of Art and Design is an Independent and nationally registered college of art and design in Australia renowned for offering specialised, practically based courses in visual art, graphic and communication design, and photography.
Students can complete a one year Diploma or two year Advanced Diploma, or they may undertake a single trimester subject, in a discipline of their choice with a focus on subjects that can range from painting, drawing, communication design, moving image, digital and analogue photography, sculpture, graphic design, studio practice, web design, animation, art history and theory, and more.
With small class sizes local and international students can work with Latrobe College's acknowledged and profiled industry professional teaching staff through full or part-time study.
Situated on Kent Street in the heart of downtown Sydney NSW, Karl von Busse Institute of Design is an exclusive design college that offers Fashion Design, Graphic Design and Interior Design Diploma programs to students interested in a creative career. Our aim is to to deliver better and more reliable returns through our skill in the best design education, responding to creative job opportunities and student needs.
The Karl von Busse Institute of Design is one of the most exciting developments in the region. From the outset, the emphasis has been on style with substance and quality. All furnishings and fittings are both ergonomic and environmentally friendly. The college features advanced low energy lighting, spacious creative rooms, the latest graphic software, state of the art computers and industry quality sewing equipment.
Art Encounters in Elsternwick, Melbourne is the perfect place to explore your creativity and learn how to make art. Art Encounters was established in 1998 to provide the community with a school where people could rekindle and awaken their creative expression and desire to make art. We provide a highly supportive and stimulating environment for the novice to commence the journey of art education. Perfect for beginners who like to study in a personal environment in small groups.
Drawing and Painting for Beginners; Art Making for Beginners; Classical Painting Classes; Weekend workshops in Materials, Colour, Life Drawing, Watercolours, Portraiture, Landscape Painting, Observational drawing, Painting the Nude, Children's Classes and more.