Private schools in New York City: Independent schools in Brooklyn NY, preschools, private elementary, high, middle school, kindergarten programs, early childhood education, co-ed junior high school....
Big Apple Academy, Brooklyn NY: The Big Apple Academy is a private, co-educational, independent K-12 school located in Brooklyn, New York. We offer educational programs for kindergarten, elementary school, junior high (middle) school and high school. Our school occupies two modern facilities located in the Gravesend area of Brooklyn.
Big Apple Academy offers the following education programs:
- Elementary School (Grades K-5) - Junior High School (Grades 6-8) - High School (Grades 9 - 12)
- Foreign Language: We emphasize on Russian language and literature.
- Writing: Skills for correct writing, observing spelling and grammar.
- Mathematics: Children at the Big Apple Academy weigh, measure, build, and work with a wide range of hands-on materials to get acquainted with both numerical and spatial relationships. Students of upper grades are taught advanced Mathematics and Algebra.
- English Literature: A full course of English Literature: from ancient sagas to contemporary writers.
- Science: The Science course comprises Earth Science and Computer Science, delivering profound knowledge in both.
- Social Studies: Our course of Social Studies is tightly tied with Science, which allow our students to get better understanding of it beyond the standard public school program.
- Music Appreciation: Music Appreciation is a course which fosters the appreciation of music in theory and basic vocal training in practice.
- Art Appreciation: Study of the renowned painters and their heritage, as well as basics of applied painting.
Located in Astoria, in the northwestern corner of Queens in New York City (NYC), Astoria Dance Centre offers fun and professional dance, acting, piano and voice lessons for boys and girls of all ages and levels, from toddler through to teens. We also offer summer programs. We are proud to serve Queens and NYC areas of Astoria, Long Island City, Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights, East Elmhurst Corona and Manhattan.
Recreational and pre-professional classes at Astoria Dance Centre are designed to ensure correct technique and placement and each student is assigned to a class best suited to her or his age and stage of development. Classes consist of creative playtime, dance together with mom and dad, preschool dance for toddlers and preschoolers, pre-dance, pre-ballet, ballet, tap, jazz, boys dance and modern dance for 5 years upwards and teenagers.
For the serious dance student, Astoria Dance Centre's specialty classes, workshops, performance team, competitions, choreography showcase and summer dance program broaden students' technique and provides them with a style and stage presence that helps prepare them for auditions and professional appearances.
- Dance, acting, piano and voice lessons for toddlers, young children and teenagers
- Dance Lessons include creative playtime, dance together (with Mom and Dad) and preschool dance for toddlers and preschoolers, pre-dance, pre-ballet, ballet jazz, tap, modern dance, boys dance
- We provide classes for boys and girls of all levels
- Specialty classes, workshops and competitions
- Summer Dance Program
- We also provide programs for adults
Oogie Art is the World's No.1 art portfolio preparatory school based on college and art award results alone. We are located in Manhattan, NY, Boston & Lexington, MA, and Shanghai, China.
Every year, we have help students gain admission with scholarships to their 1st choice colleges and universities.
These are the results from 2018:
2 students accepted from Harvard
1 student from Stanford, MIT, Yale
3 students from Cornell
2 students from Columbia University
+ and many more from SVA, RISD, Parsons, and Pratt.
The results of this year's 2019 for Early Action and Decision:
1 student accepted to Harvard
2 students accepted to Cornell
At Oogie, students will build college prep skills and develop diverse portfolios with varying levels of experience. Our rigorous classes hone student's technical skills in a range of media, as well as develop an extraordinary body of their own frameworks because our students follow a curriculum that is specifically based on their individual needs, goals and most immediate deadlines.
Class scheduling is extremely flexible - students register by the semester or year.
1. Art Portfolio Prep Program: Gr. 7-12 & Transfer
2. Junior Program: Grade 7-8
3. Art HS or Boarding School Art Portfolio and Audition Prep Program: Gr. 7-8
4. Young Talent program: Gr.4-6
5. AP Studio Art Program: Gr. 10-12
6. Foundation Program: Gr. 7 and Up
7. Curating and Art Research Program
8. Art College Counseling Service
- Perspective Drawing & Painting
- Figure Drawing & Painting
- Advanced Drawing & Painting
- Mixed Media & Collage
- Group Crits
- Film & Animation
- Fashion Design
- Business of Design
- Graphic Design
- Digital Art
- Installation Art
St. Mark's Co-operative Nursery School, located in Rockville Centre, New York, is a non-profit organization owned and operated by its members - the parents. Accredited by the National Academy of Early Childhood Programs and registered with the New York Department of Education, we provide 3 year old, 4 year old and 5 year old enrichment classes as well as 2 year old Mommy and Me and Separation classes.
Our nursery school is special because we are a "cooperative." Our school is run by the families whose children attend classes. A co-operative nursery school represents the joint effort of parents and educators to provide young children with the best possible experiences for growth and development.
Mandell School is a co-educational institution for Toddlers through the Eighth Grade located on Manhattan's Upper West Side. We are committed to providing a nurturing educational environment for children and their families, which through intellectual stimulation and emotional support, enable them to become responsible, active citizens of the world.
Mandell School curriculum is well balanced, exceptionally rigorous, yet flexible enough to allow for a range of leaning styles. Mandell uses both traditional and progressive approaches to teaching, incorporating use of manipulatives, collaboration and hands on experiential learning.
The Brownstone School and Daycare Center, Manhattan
Courses / Programs
The Brownstone School and Daycare Center is a preschool located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan in New York City, at 128 West 80th Street between Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues, half a block from the Museum of Natural History. We were founded in 1963 and chartered by the New York State Board of Regents in 1983.
Most of our families live or work on Manhattan's Upper West Side. However, the school has always been strongly committed to families from a variety of cultural, ethnic and economic backgrounds that reflect our diverse society, so families from all over the city have always been a part of The Brownstone.
The Brownstone School and Daycare Center is licensed by the New York City Department of Health and is a member of the Independent Schools Admissions Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY), the Educational Records Bureau (ERB) and the Parents League of New York. We have been serving the community for 45 years and welcome children ages 2 to 5 years.
St. John's Preparatory School is a private Catholic, co-educational high school for grades 9-12 located in Astoria, western Queens, New York City (NYC). Founded in 1870 by the Vincentian Fathers and serving Brooklyn Diocese for over a century at St. John's Preparatory School we are committed to its long tradition of excellence. We continue to achieve its original objective of helping students fulfill their potential.
By offering a challenging college preparatory curriculum with extensive college prep courses ACT and SAT and a wide range of honors and advanced placement courses we prepare our students for life at college and in the outer world.
We are committed to upholding the traditions and ideals of Catholic education and are academically affiliated with St. John's University and chartered by the New York State Board of Regents to be administered by an independent Board of Trustees. We are accredited by the Accelerated Christian Education (ACE).
- Programs for grades 9-12
- College Preparatory Curriculum with English, science, social studies, business eductaion, art, computer science, languages, health and life skills, P.E.
- Honors and Advanced Placement Courses
- College Preparatory Courses ACT and SAT