Westtown School, located in Chester County (22 miles west of Philadelphia), southeastern Pennsylvania, is a private, co-educational, Quaker school for grades pre-K through 12. Westtown School offers an essential education where young children continually find wonder in learning, middle schoolers turn their volatile energy into academic and personal momentum, and high school students move forward into advanced academic exploration, self-knowledge, and independent purpose. Westtown School was founded in 1799 and for over 200 years has offered young people a rigorous college preparatory education along with the Friends’ values of Simplicity, Peace, Integrity, Community & Equality.
Lower School Program (PreK - 5):
At Westtown Lower School, even the smallest children learn that their questions, ideas, and experiences are worthwhile. They learn that we all affect each other and that wonder and learning—and meaningful living—go happily hand-in-hand.
Our program is a rich one:
- Reading and writing are emphasized, with daily workshops at all grade levels modeled on the highly regarded Reading and Writing Project of Teachers College, Columbia University.
- We use the Everyday Math curriculum through which children become keenly motivated to discover practical solutions to problems, advancing in reasoning and analysis to become real mathematical thinkers.
- Science and social studies are inquiry-based, hands-on, collaborative, and full of experiential learning.
- Art, music, Spanish, technology, music, physical education, play and service: all are woven throughout the Lower School program and are integrated into the curriculum.
- We take many field trips to outside resources. Westtown’s glorious campus is one of our best teaching tools, offering opportunities to explore everything from a frog pond to historic archives.
Middle School Program (Grade 6-8):
The Middle School program at Westtown provides a wealth of opportunities for student learning and growth, both in and out of the classroom. Our children are strong students, yes—and athletes, artists and leaders. Our uniquely qualified teachers develop a relationship with their students that extends beyond the classroom. These adults are mentors, advisors and coaches in addition to being classroom teachers.
At Westtown Middle School, students will:
- Challenge themselves in the classroom to be critical and abstract thinkers while learning the skills essential to success in the Upper School and beyond
- Use technology in sophisticated ways as a tool for enhancing curriculum
- Take advantage of our beautiful 600-acre campus, a natural laboratory for learning
- Learn leadership and collaborative skills on Westtown’s ropes course
- Develop skills as singers or musicians in either the chorus, wind ensemble or strings program
- Have the opportunity to be part of a significant musical production, performed in our 550-seat theater
- Take electives in clay, theater, film, woodshop and art
- Develop independence by participating in overnight canoe trips in all three grades
- Study languages—with Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, French, German, and Latin—as purposeful preparation for the global society of the 21st century
- Have opportunities to serve as leaders: as book buddies for younger children, in the Work Program, and the Student Leadership Group
- Participate in physical education daily, including three seasons of interscholastic athletics for 7th and 8th grade, choosing from a myriad of athletic offerings
- Give back to the greater community by taking part in outside service opportunities
Upper School Program (Grades 9-12):
Westtown's Upper School curriculum reflects curricular offerings designed to prepare students for the challenges of the 21st century. Our program challenges students to discover and pursue their intellectual strengths while collaborating with a rich diversity of perspectives in the classroom. A core curriculum in 9th and 10th grades provides a foundation of year long courses in each area of study. 11th and 12th grade students pursue a program of elective options rich in research, writing, and applied laboratory experiences.
Email: Contact Us
|Address: 975 Westtown Road, Chester County, Pennsylvania , USA|
|Search schools here by state/city for Alabama, Arizona-Phoenix, Arkansas, California-LA County/Bay Area, Colorado-Denver, Florida-Miami-Dade, Georgia-Atlanta, Illinois-Chicago/Cook County, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mass-Boston, Michigan, Minnesota-Minneapolis, Mississippi, Missouri-St Louis, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio-Cleveland, Oklahoma, Oregon-Portland, South Carolina, South Dakota, Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Tennessee, Texas-Houston/Dallas, Utah, Virginia, Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin-Milwaukee & more...
Search career colleges in Canada by province/city in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kelowna, Surrey, Victoria, Vancouver, BC, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta, Winnipeg, Manitoba & more...
© 2003-2021 Learn4Good Ltd: Site listing Education Programs, Career Training & Jobs worldwide.