Koine, named after a Greek word meaning “common language”, is a special kind of school set up in 1980 as an association of teachers, all with personal and professional experience in the area of teaching Italian as a foreign language. These teachers decided to create a new type of organization which would differ from other private schools in its style of working and teaching methods. Today Koine offers its own didactic methods, its own text books, cassettes and videos, teachers specifically trained in these methods, lessons which are not limited purely to the teaching of the language, but completed by a series of introductory courses and guided visits to show our country’s hallmarks.Email: Contact us below ( or request a callback ).
ine has expanded over time from its main school in Florence, with schools in Lucca, Cortona and Rio Marina on the Island of Elba (all in Tuscany), and Bologna, the capital city of the Emilia-Romagna region in northern Italy. Our schools are made up of teachers trained professionally in the Florence centre, with the intention of improving not only the quality but also the quantity and variety of what it has to offer.
Accreditation: Our school gained official recognition from the Italian Ministry of Education in March 2002 and belongs to ASILS association of Italian schools for foreigners.
- Italian Language and Culture: The group course is our most common activity.
- Combined Intensive Italian Course: 4 hours of group tuition in the morning, one-to-one afternoon lesson of two hours with a teacher
- Individual intensive Italian lessons such as Italian for economics, business, medicine, banking, history, art, or architecture.
- A Tutor Course (Homestay), a super-intensive course at the teacher's home
- CILS Examination Course: The official Italian Language Examination CILS is held twice a year in June and December at several Universities in Italy and at other institutions abroad.
- Courses for teachers of Italian:
Art & Language Courses:
- Bread, wine and language: a 2-weeks program combining morning language instruction with afternoon culinary and cultural activities and excursions, open to Italian language beginners
- Painting and drawing courses in Florence: different techniques are offered for a 2, 3 or 4 weeks period for beginners and advanced.
- Photography Workshop focussing on black-and-white photography.
- Language, Art & Archaeology: The 2 week course integrates visits to artistic sites and monuments, historical centers, and archaeological sites with language instruction.
- Language, Nature & Sports: Choose from canoeing, rowing, and sailing in the lagoon; surfing, sailing, scuba diving (beginners and professional), snorkelling, horseback riding, trekking and cycling
- Learn Italian while Sailing to the islands of the Tuscan Archipelago. Italian in 3 hour lessons each morning. Your afternoons will be free for swimming, visiting the islands, and learning to sail.