Private boarding school in Virginia: Co-ed boarding high school, college prep programs for boys & girls. Christian residential education for students from Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Williamsburg, Alexandria, Newport News, Roanoke, Chesapeake, WV, MD, NC, TN, KY, NY, CA, TX, FL..
Oak Hill Academy: Founded in 1878, Oak Hill Academy is a non-military, Baptist-affiliated, co-educational boarding / day high school that provides college preparatory education for Grades 8-12, for both domestic and international students. Located in the centre of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, we are approximately 1.5 miles from the village of Mouth of Wilson, Grayson County, Virginia, 80 minutes drive west of Galax and 45 minutes south of Marion, VA. We are easily accessible from interstate 77. At Oak Hill, 95% of graduates go on to college, and we are fully accredited by the Virginia Association of Independent Schools. We accept year-round applications.
Email:Contact us below
( or request a callback ).
Co-Educational Boarding Program - for Grades 8-12:
- College preparatory education - Subjects include: English, Language, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Business, Fine Arts, Physical Education, Non-Departmental Electives and Microsoft IT Academy.
- Oak Hill is an official SAT, ACT, and PSAT testing site (our international students are transported to a nearby testing site for the TOEFL several times throughout the year).
- Additionally: SAT Preparatory course and Athletics program.
Oakland School is a small co-ed boarding and day school in Keswick, Albemarle County VA (just eleven miles east of Charlottesville) that enables children who have learning disabilities or organizational and study skills difficulties to reach their academic and personal potential.
Thanks to a success-oriented environment and time-tested methods, hundreds of Oakland students have successfully returned to mainstream education since the school's founding in 1950.
The combination of daily one-to-one instruction, an emphasis on basic skills including Oakland’s specialty of teaching reading, a highly-experienced and nurturing staff and a success-oriented environment has enabled scores of children to reach their academic and personal potential.
The school is located on the site of a former plantation in the rolling countryside of central Virginia. Oakland's peaceful country setting and nurturing environment allow for truly remarkable learning to occur.
• THINK Global School (TGS) is a private, non-profit high school that travels the world, allowing students ages 14-18 years old the chance to study in four new international cities each academic year.
• TGS offers a once-in-a-lifetime educational experience centered around travel and cultural immersion.
• TGS students are competitively selected from all regions and all walks of life. Together they are a miniature United Nations, representing over 25 different countries of citizenship, and a diverse range of experiences, talents and interests.
• THINK Global School if fully accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Schools - Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACS-WASC).
Upcoming & Previous School Locations around the world: • 2021-2022: Australia, Bosnia, Botswana, Chile, China, Greece, India, Japan, Oman, Panama.
• 2019-2020: Bosnia & Herzegovina, Australia, Chile, Italy
• 2018-2019: China, Oman, Costa Rica, Greece
• 2017-2018: Botswana, India, Japan & Spain
• 2016-2017: Canada, Morocco & Peru
• 2015-2016: Sweden, Bosnia & Italy
• 2014-2015: New Zealand, Costa Rica, Greece
• 2013-2014: India, Tanzania, Japan
• 2012-2013: Argentina, Bhutan, USA
• 2011-2012: Ecuador, Thailand, Germany
• 2010-2011: Sweden, Australia, China
"The collective energy that the students at THINK Global School possess is remarkable. Somehow, the more places they go and things they do, the more energy they have!… It is such an inspiration!" - TGS Residential Advisor
The school year consists of four terms, each held in a different country, where students have the chance to explore the history and culture of fantastic locations worldwide.
• Taught in small classes by friendly, dedicated and experienced teachers
• Student-driven instruction
• All subjects are inspired by the location, and are designed to combine learning with a wealth of cultural experiences.
Located in Chatham, Pittsylvania County, southern Virginia, Hargrave Military Academy is a college preparatory secondary boy’s military boarding school for Grades 7-12 and one post graduate year with college prep SAT, ACT and AP courses.
Established in 1909, Hargrave has a long history of providing quality education to our students, not only in the classroom, but in the areas of character development, leadership, socially, spiritually and athletically.
The Academy provides a safe learning and boarding environment with modern dorm facilities, dining and infirmary services. The daily structure provides a higher level of accountability and responsibility that is not present today.
Hargrave maintains no military affiliation with the U.S. Military, U.S. Reserve Officer Training Programs (ROTC), or other military organizations. Hargrave maintains its own independent military program, which permits the Academy to provide leadership training geared toward individual development and academic success.
Hargrave Military Academy is fully accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and the Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS).
Military Boarding Programs for boys in Grades 7-12 and Postgraduate Year:
- College Preparatory Curriculum with Language Arts, Math, Science and Social Studies
- Advanced Placement Courses
- College Preparation Courses SAT, ACT
- Enhanced Learning Through Technology Program
- English as a Second Language Program
- International Students are welcome
The Madeira School is a girls' boarding school and day school, Grades 9–12, located 12 miles outside Washington, D.C. in McLean, Fairfax County, northern Virginia.
Designed for girls who are bright, curious, and independent, Madeira is committed to providing an exemplary college prepatory school education with with prep courses for PSAT, SAT and SAT II, summer and community programs as well as a global emphasis and a unique co-curriculum program offering off-campus internship opportunities for every student.
The six dormitories at Madeira accommodate girls from all over the world. Over half of our girls are boarders, and boarding life forms a vital and vibrant portion of life at Madeira.
Most boarders have roommates, and many continue to live with that roommate each year. Faculty and girls bring with them diverse ethnic, racial, religious, socio-economic, and cultural perspectives and share them in both academic and social settings.
Imagine the fun you will have getting to know girls from Bhutan, Mexico, Korea, Taiwan, Russia, Nigeria, and across the United States? Your character, interests, and culture are considered valuable assets that improve and enhance the overall community.
Founded in 1916, Virginia Episcopal School (VES) is a college preparatory, coeducational, independent boarding and day school for students in Grades 9-12 located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Lynchburg, Virginia and consisting of an intimate academic community of 200 students.
At VES, your friends will be from all over the country as well as the world! Our students represent eleven different states and eight foreign countries.
Our small student body allows us to maintain a tight-knit community of familiar faces. We maintain an average class size of 10-12 students, and the overall student-to-teacher ratio is 5:1. More than two-thirds of our students live on campus.
We are accredited by the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS), Virginia Council for Private Education (VCPE), National Association for Principles of Schools for Girls (NAPSG), and The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS).
Boarding and Day Programs for boys and girls Grade 9-12:
- College preparatory curriculum with seven honors courses and seventeen advanced placement courses including English, science, mathematics, fine arts, foreign languages, history, computer science and religion
If your teenage son or daughter is struggling with behavioral problems, academic underachievement, additions, or emotional issues, Turning Winds Academic Institute (TWAI) may be the solution for you.
Located in Montana, TWAI is an accredited, family-run, therapeutic boarding school for troubled teens (boys and girls) ages 13-18 from West Virginia and across the U.S.
We provide an extremely high standard of therapeutic treatment to our students, and offer help for the following presenting issues: poor academic performance, behavioral problems, addictions, low self-worth, spectrum disorders, ADD/ADHD, and attachment disorders among others.
We combine the benefits of a therapeutic boarding school, a wilderness program, and a residential treatment center (RTC) on our beautiful, serene, and safe 150 acre campus.
TWAI has been serving struggling teens and their families since 2002, with an exceptional degree of success.
With a passion for helping young people in crisis, our clinical, educational, and operations staff are among the best in the country.
We are a small program (40 students) which means that we are able to provide a truly unique and customized approach for every student.
Typically our on site student to staff ratio is 5:1. The average stay at our residential treatment center is 12 months.
Parent Testimonial: "TWAI truly cares about the children and the families they serve. They are a “Solution” not a band-aid to the children and families in their program."