European Doctorate in Law and Economics:
The European Doctorate in Law and Economics (EDLE) is offered by three of the leading European universities in the area of Law & Economics: The University of Bologna in Italy, the University of Hamburg in Germany and the University of Rotterdam in the Netherlands, with the collaboration of the Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research of Mumbai, India. EDLE is a joint doctoral programme (PhD-level) especially tailored to provide doctoral students with systematic & methodical training in the economic analysis of law. It is an excellence programme sponsored by the European Commission under the Erasmus Mundus scheme. English is the language of instruction.
European Doctorate (PhD Level) in Law & Economics (EDLE) - 3 Years:
Three of the leading European universities in the area of Law and Economics, the Universities of Bologna in Italy, Hamburg in Germany and Rotterdam in the Netherlands, have established a joint Doctoral programme especially tailored to provide doctoral students with systematic and methodical training in the economic analysis of law. In the first year, students first study in Bologna, Italy and then in Hamburg, Germany. In the second year, students study in Rotterdam, Netherlands.
Who Can Apply?
Students that hold a master degree (or diploma) in law or economics, or a comparable university degree. Preference will be given to candidates with a background in Law and Economics.
EDLE presents a combination of course work and research. The curriculum is devised to provide advanced and challenging education both to lawyers and economist. Students will be able to choose between basic and advanced courses depending on their educational background.
In the first year, from October to April, students study in Bologna, Italy. Students with a legal background will be offered the possibility to attend introductory courses in Maths, Game theory, and Statistics. Students with a background in economics will be offered the possibility to attend advanced courses in Microeconomics, Econometrics, and Financial Economics. All students must take a course either in Statistics or Econometrics, and dedicated courses in:
1. Introduction to the Italian legal system,
2. European securities and company law,
3. Economics of European competition law and IPRs,
4. Game theory and the law,
5. Modelling European private law.
6. Experimental and behavioural law and economics.
- Students also attend law and economics seminars held by international scholars.
- During the months of June and July, first-year students study in Hamburg, Germany, where they attend an Introductory course on the German Legal system and the International Summer School.
- During the first semester of the second year, from October to March, students attend the cycle of seminars scheduled at the Rotterdam Institute for Law and Economics in the Netherlands. The format of these seminars includes a presentation of one or two candidates and the discussion of an external expert, who might be a leading researcher in the field or a member of the Advisory Board.
- At the end of the first semester of the second year, students will move to one of the participating universities, depending on the field of specialization. Students who specialize on development law and economics will be offered the possibility to visit Mumbai, India, for one or two semesters.
- On top of the coursework, students start working on their theses from the inception.
Students who meet the conditions set by the programme and successfully defend their thesis are awarded the EDLE doctoral degree. Candidates can submit their thesis after three academic years. If the defence takes place at the University of Bologna or at the University of Hamburg, the doctoral degree will be jointly awarded by the University of Bologna and Hamburg, in co-operation with the Erasmus University Rotterdam. If the defence takes place at the Erasmus University Rotterdam, candidates will obtain a joint doctoral degree from the Universities of Bologna and Hamburg, and a doctoral degree from the Erasmus University Rotterdam.
Email: Contact Us
|Address: University of Bologna School of Economics Piazza Scaravilli 2, 40126, Bologna, Italy|
|Search schools here by state/city for Alabama, Arizona-Phoenix, Arkansas, California-LA County/Bay Area, Colorado-Denver, Florida-Miami-Dade, Georgia-Atlanta, Illinois-Chicago/Cook County, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mass-Boston, Michigan, Minnesota-Minneapolis, Mississippi, Missouri-St Louis, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio-Cleveland, Oklahoma, Oregon-Portland, South Carolina, South Dakota, Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Tennessee, Texas-Houston/Dallas, Utah, Virginia, Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin-Milwaukee & more...
Search career colleges in Canada by province/city in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kelowna, Surrey, Victoria, Vancouver, BC, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta, Winnipeg, Manitoba & more...
© 2003-2021 Learn4Good Ltd: Site listing Education Programs, Career Training & Jobs worldwide.