European Doctorate in Law and Economics:
The European Doctorate in Law and Economics (EDLE) is offered by three of the leading European universities in the area of Law & Economics: The University of Bologna in Italy, the University of Hamburg in Germany and the University of Rotterdam in the Netherlands, with the collaboration of the Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research of Mumbai, India. EDLE is a joint doctoral programme (PhD-level) especially tailored to provide doctoral students with systematic & methodical training in the economic analysis of law. It is an excellence programme sponsored by the European Commission under the Erasmus Mundus scheme. English is the language of instruction.
The goal of the EDLE programme is to form a new class of outstanding, highly skilled doctorate candidates, able to contribute to the international academic and policy debate.
Through EDLE, students receive the knowledge and skills to successfully pursue their careers in national and international organizations (private and public), promoting efficient laws and regulations and fostering economic progress. More research-oriented candidates will be able to pursue an academic career. Successful EDLE candidates are expected extends the frontier of knowledge and to publish their research in international field journals.
Institutions co-operating with the EDLE are collectively referred to as Associate Members.
- Allen & Overy (Italy)
- AMEC Earth & Environmental (Italy)
- Central Depository Services (India) Limited
- Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS) (Belgium)
- College van Beroep voor het Bedrijfsleven (Administrative High Court for Trade and Industry) (Netherlands)
- Deloitte Deutschland (Germany)
- Deutsche Bank AG (Germany)
- Deutsche Bundesbank, Regional Office Hamburg (Germany)
- Ernst & Young AG (Germany)
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP (Germany, Italy)
- Handelskammer Hamburg (Germany)
- National Law School of India University (India)
- Negrí-Clementi Toffoletto Montironi & Soci Studio Legale Associato (Italy)
- Pavia e Ansaldo Studio Legale (Italy, Belgium)
- Studiecentrum voor Kernenergie (Belgian Nuclear Research Centre) (Belgium)
- Taylor Wessing Partnerschaftsgesellschaft von Rechtsanwälten (Germany, Italy)
- TLS Associazione Professionale di Avvocati e Commercialisti (Italy)
- White & Case LLP (Germany)
The EDLE presents an attractive option for both economists and lawyers. There can be little doubt that legal thinking can benefit strongly from economic reasoning. At the same time, a deep understanding of economic issues cannot occur in ignorance of the legal and institutional background in which the problem at hand is embedded. The study of Law and Economics assists scholars from both backgrounds in integrating these perspectives.
The EDLE programme prepares economists and lawyers of high promise for an academic career in a research field of growing importance or for responsible positions in government, research organizations and international consulting groups.
- First year students first study in Bologna, Italy and then in Hamburg, Germany, and in second year they study in Rotterdam, Netherlands.
- At the end of the first semester of the second year, students will move to one of the participating university, depending on the field of specialization. Candidates who specialize on development law and economics will be offered the possibility to visit Mumbai for one or two semesters.
- A unique opportunity to study Law & Economics on a PhD-Level in (at least) three different countries.
- A joint doctoral programme offering doctoral students systematic & methodical training in the economic analysis of law.
- EDLE presents a combination of course work & research.
- Curriculum is devised to provide advanced and challenging education both to lawyers and economists.
"The EDLE in its unique structure allows you to meet people from all over the world, who share a curiosity for global affairs, an outgoing nature and the disposition to take on new challenges. The research seminars are very interactive; the input of all researchers, including PhD candidates, is regarded highly relevant when discussing ongoing research of all scholars. You are not just a student anymore. Being part of the EDLE group enables you to discuss your research with likeminded people who can provide valuable comments to further your research.
Your academic skills will be broadened not only in your own research topic, but in the entire field of Law and Economics. You will find yourself attending conferences and seminars all over Europe, or even further away. My research in Regulation of Consumer Protection has brought me not only to several academic conferences, seminars and workshops, but also to meetings at the European Commission. The EDLE framework allows you to set up initiatives beneficial to your research, whether you want to do empirical research, advance economic theory, or make policy recommendations.
For me, deciding to participate in the EDLE programme was one of the best decisions I ever made. Interesting research, teaching, and participating in all sorts of academic and policy related activities all over Europe has agreed with me better than I could have ever imagined beforehand. I fully recommend anyone with an interest in research and who is enthusiastic about law and economics to participate in the EDLE programme. The EDLE is full of opportunities; it is up to you to take full advantage." - Hanneke, completed EDLE in May 2010.
Email: Contact Us
- Courses / Programs
|Address: University of Bologna School of Economics Piazza Scaravilli 2, 40126, Bologna, Italy|
|Search schools here by state/city for Alabama, Arizona-Phoenix, Arkansas, California-LA County/Bay Area, Colorado-Denver, Florida-Miami-Dade, Georgia-Atlanta, Illinois-Chicago/Cook County, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mass-Boston, Michigan, Minnesota-Minneapolis, Mississippi, Missouri-St Louis, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio-Cleveland, Oklahoma, Oregon-Portland, South Carolina, South Dakota, Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Tennessee, Texas-Houston/Dallas, Utah, Virginia, Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin-Milwaukee & more...
Search career colleges in Canada by province/city in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kelowna, Surrey, Victoria, Vancouver, BC, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta, Winnipeg, Manitoba & more...
© 2003-2021 Learn4Good Ltd: Site listing Education Programs, Career Training & Jobs worldwide.