Boarding schools for troubled teens in Northern California: Therapeutic boarding school in San Bernardino County for at-risk boys & girls with behavioral problems, emotional difficulties & substance abuse issues. Private residential treatment center for middle school & high school students.
River View Christian Academy, San Bernardino County: River View Christian Academy (RVCA) is a fully accredited, private Christian residential boarding school for troubled teens ages 13-17, located in the mountains of Northern California. Our program for teenagers is aimed at helping troubled teens by providing firm but loving intervention, interactive education and life skills training.
All high school levels for grades 6 through 12. The curriculum we use is home school-based and published by Alpha Omega Publications.
About Us: Our boarding school is open to families regardless of race or religion. We have open enrollment and students are in the classroom year-round so your child has the continuous opportunity to experience success in their education.
Our staff is also available for individual tutoring. If a student completes their high school degree while at River View Christian Academy, we can assist them in coordinating college level correspondence courses.
How is School Conducted? School is in session Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:15 and 12:30 and resumes after lunch from 1:30 to 2:15. School is also conducted year-round, allowing the teens to do schoolwork no matter what time of the year they are in the program.
This year-round schedule gives the teens a much better chance of succeeding academically by providing them the most amount of time possible to do their schoolwork.
The teens work at computer stations that have no internet access, and the staff members are there to help the teens whenever it is necessary. In addition to their schoolwork, the teens have PE for 45 minutes most every weekday.
Our Success Rates:
River View Christian Academy has been in operation as a Christian Residential Boarding School for troubled teens since 1993. RVCA provides education and life skills training to over 300 families.
A master's thesis was recently completed with RVCA as the focus program. The thesis followed up with former students and surveyed them regarding the impact RVCA made upon their life in a time of turmoil and self-destructive behavior.
Dramatic success was reported in the following areas: - There were major reductions in at-risk behaviors.
- Family relationships were restored and repaired.
- Conflicts still occurred but the parent and teen were able to resolve them easier.
- Communication skills developed.
- The program increased maturity levels.
- Rebellion against parents and other authority figures decreased significantly.
- Students were able to choose healthy relationships with others.
- Academic achievement was improved.
- There was an overall reduction of criminal behavior and law enforcement involvement.
- Students had success replacing self-centered behavior with a sense of accomplishment, self-worth, and responsibility.
- Students reduced drug and alcohol use.
Founded in 1924, Southwestern Academy is a private, college preparatory boarding and day school for boys and girls in grades 6 through 12. Our high-quality classes are based on the University of California's a-g entrance standards.
We have students from all around the world who benefit from Southwestern Academy's small classes, active student body and challenging educational program. We offer students the opportunity to study at either of two distinctly different and beautiful campuses.
The San Marino, Southern California, campus is in a historic orange grove area near Pasadena and Los Angeles.
Southwestern Academy is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and is approved by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement, U.S. Department of Homeland Security for attendance by international students.
Situated just 90 minutes north west of Los Angeles, in Santa Barbara County CA, Cate School, is a co-educational college preparatory day & boarding school of offering Grades 9 - 12.
Founded in 1910, the School delivers a demanding academic program resulting in a breadth and depth of scholarly inquiry. In an intimate setting, students and teachers together pursue high ideals.
Fellow students become friends, teammates, and counselors. Our dorms are also home to Cate faculty and their families, and the bonds between students and teachers are built as much there as they are in the classrooms and on the playing fields.
Taught by faculty members who are passionate about their subjects and dedicated to ensuring that each student reaches his or her full potential, the coursework at Cate is both rigorous and engaging.
The Athenian School is a co-educational independent college preparatory school in the San Francisco Bay Area of Northern California. The school is located on a beautiful 75-acre campus at the base of Mt. Diablo, in Danville, Contra Costa County.
We offer a day program for Middle School students (grades 6-8) from the East Bay region and day and boarding programs for Upper School students (grades 9-12) from the US and throughout the world.
Athenian offers a challenging engaging curriculum and outstanding distinctive programs. The school prepares students well for college, as well as for a life of purpose and personal fulfillment.
Boarding students from throughout the world live in two dormitories, housing approximately 20 students each. More than 20 faculty members live on campus, providing extraordinary guidance and support for all students. Today more than 40 students from a dozen countries compose Athenian’s boarding program.
Athenian develops and broadens students’ understanding of themselves and the world. It is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and the California Association of Independent Schools.
Co-educational Day & Boarding Programs for students in Grades 6-12:
- Middle School Day Program (Grades 6-8)
- Upper School Day & Boarding Programs (Grades 9-12)
Upper School curriculum includes:
- Foreign Languages
- Physical Education / Athletics
- Studio / Performing Arts
- Special Interest Activities
- Wilderness Experience
- Community Service
• With our headquarters in New York City, THINK Global School is the world’s first global, traveling high school! There is no other school like TGS on the planet.
• Designed for 10-12th Grade students from California, the U.S. and around the globe, our school year consists of 3 terms, each held in a different country. Our students have the unique opportunity to delve into the history and culture of these fantastic international locations.
• Authorized to offer the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program, our mission is to provide a challenging academic experience for multinational students (ages 14-18) in a multicultural learning environment, with a specific focus on engaging with the local culture in each of our host cities.
• During the academic year 2017-18, we are in Botswana, India, Japan & Spain, while in previous years we have been situated in Australia, Sweden, China, Germany, Argentina, the U.S. and more.
• TGS students are competitively selected from all corners of the globe and all walks of life. Together they are a miniature UN, representing more than 20 different countries of citizenship and a diverse range of experiences, talents and interests.
• THINK Global School is accredited by the Western Association of Schools & Colleges.
Expert Testimonial: "The collective energy that the students at TGS possess is remarkable. Somehow, the more places they go and things they do, the more energy they have!… It is such an inspiration!" - TGS Residential Advisor
Located in the San Jacinto Mountains in Riverside County, California, Idyllwild Arts Academy is a co-educational day & boarding arts school that offers a disciplined college preparatory program for grades 9-12 and post-graduates.
We provide world-class training in creative writing, dance, film & video, interdisciplinary arts, music, theatre, and visual art. The mission of the Idyllwild Arts Foundation is to promote and advance artistic and cultural development through education in a beautiful, natural environment conducive to positive personal growth.
The Idyllwild Arts Academy provides pre-professional training in the arts and a comprehensive college preparatory curriculum to a diverse student body of gifted young artists from all over the world.
All rooms are double-occupancy. Students are assigned roommates at the beginning of the year, with student requests for roommates given careful consideration. English-speaking students may voluntarily assist newly arriving international students with their English language skills by choosing to be their roommates.
Co-educational day & boarding arts school programs for students in Grades 9-12:
- Day Programs
- Boarding Programs
- Post-graduate Options
Curriculum subjects include:
- Creative Writing
- Interdisciplinary Arts
- Moving Pictures
- Visual Art
- Foreign Language
- Science, and more...
Educating Tomorrow's Leaders: Young Men, Grades 7-12
Located on the coast in San Diego, California, Army and Navy Academy is truly unique. Our college preparatory curriculum is catered to the ways that boys learn best. Interactive lessons, small class sizes, personal attention, and formal leadership training motivate each Cadet to reach his full potential.
This combination - leadership education, a college-prep curriculum, and the commitment to teaching in the ways that boys learn best - all adds up to create The Warrior Experience.
As a private military school with a JROTC program, Cadets are educated to a set of core values that shape all aspects of life here. Honesty, integrity, respect, responsibility, and compassion are the cornerstones.
While military is the format, most boys do not go into the military upon graduation; over 97% go on to college and are accepted by top universities.
Excellence is promoted in all areas of life. Boys learn self-discipline, teamwork, and accountability while receiving a top education and enjoying a beautiful ocean side campus.
College Preparatory Day & Boarding Programs for Boys in Grades 7-12:
- Day Program
- Boarding Program
- Middle School (Grades 7-8)
- Upper School (Grades 9-12)
- University of California A-G Curriculum
- JROTC Leadership Program
- Advanced Placement (AP) Courses
- Athletics Program
- ESL Program