Boarding schools for troubled teens in Northern California: Therapeutic boarding school in San Bernardino County for at-risk boys & girls with behavioral problems, emotional difficulties & substance abuse issues. Private residential treatment center for middle school & high school students.
River View Christian Academy, San Bernardino County: River View Christian Academy (RVCA) is a fully accredited, private Christian residential boarding school for troubled teens ages 13-17, located in the mountains of Northern California. Our program for teenagers is aimed at helping troubled teens by providing firm but loving intervention, interactive education and life skills training.
All high school levels for grades 6 through 12. The curriculum we use is home school-based and published by Alpha Omega Publications.
About Us: Our boarding school is open to families regardless of race or religion. We have open enrollment and students are in the classroom year-round so your child has the continuous opportunity to experience success in their education.
Our staff is also available for individual tutoring. If a student completes their high school degree while at River View Christian Academy, we can assist them in coordinating college level correspondence courses.
How is School Conducted? School is in session Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:15 and 12:30 and resumes after lunch from 1:30 to 2:15. School is also conducted year-round, allowing the teens to do schoolwork no matter what time of the year they are in the program.
This year-round schedule gives the teens a much better chance of succeeding academically by providing them the most amount of time possible to do their schoolwork.
The teens work at computer stations that have no internet access, and the staff members are there to help the teens whenever it is necessary. In addition to their schoolwork, the teens have PE for 45 minutes most every weekday.
Our Success Rates:
River View Christian Academy has been in operation as a Christian Residential Boarding School for troubled teens since 1993. RVCA provides education and life skills training to over 300 families.
A master's thesis was recently completed with RVCA as the focus program. The thesis followed up with former students and surveyed them regarding the impact RVCA made upon their life in a time of turmoil and self-destructive behavior.
Dramatic success was reported in the following areas: - There were major reductions in at-risk behaviors.
- Family relationships were restored and repaired.
- Conflicts still occurred but the parent and teen were able to resolve them easier.
- Communication skills developed.
- The program increased maturity levels.
- Rebellion against parents and other authority figures decreased significantly.
- Students were able to choose healthy relationships with others.
- Academic achievement was improved.
- There was an overall reduction of criminal behavior and law enforcement involvement.
- Students had success replacing self-centered behavior with a sense of accomplishment, self-worth, and responsibility.
- Students reduced drug and alcohol use.
Oak Grove School is a progressive, co-educational day and boarding school offering a 7-day boarding program to both American and international high school students in 7th through to 12th grade.
Based in Ojai City, Ventura County, southern California, we are situated approximately 54 miles (86 km) north of Los Angeles. Our graduates are accepted at top colleges and universities worldwide, and our SAT scores surpass national averages among both public and private high schools.
Our family-style boarding facility provides a warm and friendly home for 15 - 20 boarding students. Our dedicated residential staff lives on the premises offering support and guidance.
The average class size is of 12-16 students. The school is fully accredited by the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
Founded in 1924, Southwestern Academy is a private, college preparatory boarding and day school for boys and girls in grades 6 through 12. Our high-quality classes are based on the University of California's a-g entrance standards.
We have students from all around the world who benefit from Southwestern Academy's small classes, active student body and challenging educational program. We offer students the opportunity to study at either of two distinctly different and beautiful campuses.
The San Marino, Southern California, campus is in a historic orange grove area near Pasadena and Los Angeles.
Southwestern Academy is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and is approved by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement, U.S. Department of Homeland Security for attendance by international students.
Squaw Valley Academy (SVA) is located in the pristine mountain community known as Olympic Valley, just minutes from beautiful Lake Tahoe, in California. SVA is a co-ed, college-preparatory international boarding school for children in grades 9-12, with Day programs available from grades 6-12.
Founded in 1978, Squaw Valley Academy is the oldest private school at Lake Tahoe, and the individual needs of each student remain an integral part of campus life at SVA.
Boarding students live on-campus in one of the three, adult-supervised dormitories and most students share their room with up to three other students. International students enhance the community of Squaw Valley Academy.
Squaw Valley Academy meets the California state standards for high school students and is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). We offer Advanced Placement courses, SAT Prep, ESL and Rolling Enrollment.
Boarding and Day Programs for boys and girls in grades 6-12:
- Day Programs for Grades 6-12
- Boarding Programs in Grades 9-12
- Rigorous College-Preparatory Curriculum approved by University of California
- High School Program
- Advanced Placement Courses
- Beginner to advanced levels of ESL
- College Preparation Courses SAT, ACT
- Outdoor Education and Adventure Program
- Summer School
Located 28 miles northeast of Santa Barbara, in the beautiful Santa Ynez Valley in southern California, Dunn School is a college preparatory day & boarding school with a focus on developing each student's academic and personal potential.
We serve students from grades 6-12 in Middle & Upper School, specializing in humanities, science, math, languages, and more.
Boarding life at Dunn is truly a unique experience in which students learn to become independent while living and learning among friends. For many students, boarding life is a key part of their Dunn School education and overall growth. Through living on campus, students find their identity, develop talents, and establish friendships for life.
Dunn offers small classes and a unique advisor program. Our students meet with their faculty advisors daily to address academic or personal issues. Our academic curriculum is complimented by our visual and performing arts programs, co-curricular athletics, and outdoor education.
Dunn School is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and is one of only seven private independent schools accredited by the Association for Experiential Education.
Oaks Christian School (OCS) is an independent, college preparatory boarding school serving middle & high school-age boys and girls in grades 6-12. It is located in Westlake Village in Los Angeles County, California, adjacent to the 101 Freeway, approximately 40 miles north-west of Los Angeles.
Oaks Christian School, founded in 2000, continues to build a reputation of being one of the most respected private Christian high schools in California, and welcomes nationwide and international students to our high school.
Our mission statement reflects a top-notch academic program with an outstanding and competitive athletic department and a visual / performing arts division rivaling the top schools in the United States.
Oaks Christian Homestay is a unique feature of our boarding program. We believe it creates a much better educational environment and provides more social and emotional support than an impersonal boarding dorm.
Our school is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
• THINK Global School (TGS) is a private, non-profit high school that travels the world, allowing students ages 14-18 years old the chance to study in four new international cities each academic year.
• TGS offers a once-in-a-lifetime educational experience centered around travel and cultural immersion.
• TGS students are competitively selected from all regions and all walks of life. Together they are a miniature United Nations, representing over 25 different countries of citizenship, and a diverse range of experiences, talents and interests.
• THINK Global School if fully accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Schools - Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACS-WASC).
Upcoming & Previous School Locations around the world: • 2021-2022: Australia, Bosnia, Botswana, Chile, China, Greece, India, Japan, Oman, Panama.
• 2019-2020: Bosnia & Herzegovina, Australia, Chile, Italy
• 2018-2019: China, Oman, Costa Rica, Greece
• 2017-2018: Botswana, India, Japan & Spain
• 2016-2017: Canada, Morocco & Peru
• 2015-2016: Sweden, Bosnia & Italy
• 2014-2015: New Zealand, Costa Rica, Greece
• 2013-2014: India, Tanzania, Japan
• 2012-2013: Argentina, Bhutan, USA
• 2011-2012: Ecuador, Thailand, Germany
• 2010-2011: Sweden, Australia, China
"The collective energy that the students at THINK Global School possess is remarkable. Somehow, the more places they go and things they do, the more energy they have!… It is such an inspiration!" - TGS Residential Advisor
The school year consists of four terms, each held in a different country, where students have the chance to explore the history and culture of fantastic locations worldwide.
• Taught in small classes by friendly, dedicated and experienced teachers
• Student-driven instruction
• All subjects are inspired by the location, and are designed to combine learning with a wealth of cultural experiences.