Boarding schools for troubled teens in California: Therapeutic boarding school in San Diego for boys & girls. Private high school & middle school programs for difficult youth with behavioral problems/ emotional issues. Residential treatment center in Southern California for at-risk adolescents.
Sunset Bay Academy, San Diego: Sunset Bay Academy is a co-ed therapeutic boarding school located in San Ysidro, 20 miles south of San Diego, California. We offer a three-phase therapeutic program dedicated to supporting troubled teens aged 12 - 17 and their parents in acquiring the needed tools to restore hope and create healthy relationships within their families.
Academics at Sunset Bay (Grades 9-12): Our academic program is designed to maximize student learning by encouraging academic excellence and motivating students to consider college as a viable option. We use a computer based academic program featuring 3-D animation, interactive activities and cutting edge multimedia.
Our curriculum has the flexibility to customize instruction to meet each student’s needs. This allows students to progress based on their educational abilities. The computer based curriculum allows teachers to concentrate on one-on-one support to further enhance our student’s academic success. We have high academic standards that require students to score 80% or higher to move on to the next lesson.
We offer a range of courses that meet middle and high school requirements. In addition, students participate in our Spanish Immersion Program. Unfortunately, many students arrive having failed several classes or entire grade levels.
Participating in the therapeutic process allows for students to take accountability for their actions by slowly shifting their academic performance at Sunset Bay Academy. Students become highly motivated to complete their educational goals with the support of our academic and therapeutic staff.
Students receive information and assistance with: - SAT Preparation Course. - Essay Writing - Project Information
We offer a wide variety of courses that meet middle school and high school requirements:
- English - Science: Science 7 and 8; General Earth Science; Biology; Chemistry; Physics; Physical Science - Mathematics: Pre-Algebra; Algebra; Algebra II; Geometry; Consumer Math; Trigonometry; Calculus - Social Studies: History 3,4,5,6 & 7; World Geography & Civics; World History; US History; Government & Economics; State History - Foreign Language: Elementary Spanish; Secondary Spanish; Spanish I; Spanish II; Elementary French; Secondary French - Health - Physical Education - Electives: A wide variety of electives are available
Our therapeutic program also offers: - Group therapy - Individual therapy - Family workshops - Personal growth workshops for parents and students - After care program - Extracurricular activities - Sports
California Leadership Academy is an affordable and caring secure facility for troubled teens (ages 12-17) located near San Diego, CA.
Our school is a residential, therapeutic academy for boys and girls 12-17 who exhibit defiance, rebellion, failing grades, or emotional issues.
We believe that each teen that walks through our door has a bright future in front of them. Our mission is to help them find that root-cause that is destroying their lives and in many cases their families.
In collaboration with parents, teachers, and the community, students will develop skills to become critical thinkers, problem solvers and leaders in order to reach their highest potential.
Oak Grove School is a progressive, co-educational day and boarding school offering a 7-day boarding program to both American and international high school students in 7th through to 12th grade.
Based in Ojai City, Ventura County, southern California, we are situated approximately 54 miles (86 km) north of Los Angeles. Our graduates are accepted at top colleges and universities worldwide, and our SAT scores surpass national averages among both public and private high schools.
Our family-style boarding facility provides a warm and friendly home for 15 - 20 boarding students. Our dedicated residential staff lives on the premises offering support and guidance.
The average class size is of 12-16 students. The school is fully accredited by the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
• With our headquarters in New York City, THINK Global School is the world’s first global, traveling high school! There is no other school like TGS on the planet.
• Designed for 10-12th Grade students from California, the U.S. and around the globe, our school year consists of 3 terms, each held in a different country. Our students have the unique opportunity to delve into the history and culture of these fantastic international locations.
• Authorized to offer the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program, our mission is to provide a challenging academic experience for multinational students (ages 14-18) in a multicultural learning environment, with a specific focus on engaging with the local culture in each of our host cities.
• During the academic year 2017-18, we are in Botswana, India, Japan & Spain, while in previous years we have been situated in Australia, Sweden, China, Germany, Argentina, the U.S. and more.
• TGS students are competitively selected from all corners of the globe and all walks of life. Together they are a miniature UN, representing more than 20 different countries of citizenship and a diverse range of experiences, talents and interests.
• THINK Global School is accredited by the Western Association of Schools & Colleges.
Expert Testimonial: "The collective energy that the students at TGS possess is remarkable. Somehow, the more places they go and things they do, the more energy they have!… It is such an inspiration!" - TGS Residential Advisor
The Thacher School is a co-educational boarding high school for grades 9-12 located in Ojai, 85 miles northwest of Los Angeles in Ventura County, CA.
The school serves academically talented students who will benefit from a rigorous college preparatory experience with ACT, SAT and AP courses. The faculty and students live and work closely together in a community in which cooperation, trust, honesty, and respect are the cornerstones of school life.
Together, we commit to the belief that demands in the academic classroom, when combined with those of mountains and horses, of sports and the arts, produce independent minds, strong bodies, and powerful character.
Dormitory life is a rich blend of studying, relaxing, sleeping, and enjoying with friends and prefects. In each dorm, senior prefects help administer rules and serve as role models for other students. Faculty members are also an integral part of dorm life, as most live in apartments attached to the dormitories.
We are accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Boarding Programs for boys and girls in Grades 9-12:
- Advanced Placement Courses
- College Preparation Courses SAT and ACT
- Study Abroad Program
- Outdoor Program
- Horseriding Program
- International Students welcome
Rigorous College Preparatory Curriculum:
- Fine Arts
- Modern Languages
Founded in 1924, Southwestern Academy is a private, college preparatory boarding and day school for boys and girls in grades 6 through 12. Our high-quality classes are based on the University of California's a-g entrance standards.
We have students from all around the world who benefit from Southwestern Academy's small classes, active student body and challenging educational program. We offer students the opportunity to study at either of two distinctly different and beautiful campuses.
The San Marino, Southern California, campus is in a historic orange grove area near Pasadena and Los Angeles.
Southwestern Academy is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and is approved by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement, U.S. Department of Homeland Security for attendance by international students.
Squaw Valley Academy (SVA) is located in the pristine mountain community known as Olympic Valley, just minutes from beautiful Lake Tahoe, in California. SVA is a co-ed, college-preparatory international boarding school for children in grades 9-12, with Day programs available from grades 6-12.
Founded in 1978, Squaw Valley Academy is the oldest private school at Lake Tahoe, and the individual needs of each student remain an integral part of campus life at SVA.
Boarding students live on-campus in one of the three, adult-supervised dormitories and most students share their room with up to three other students. International students enhance the community of Squaw Valley Academy.
Squaw Valley Academy meets the California state standards for high school students and is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). We offer Advanced Placement courses, SAT Prep, ESL and Rolling Enrollment.
Boarding and Day Programs for boys and girls in grades 6-12:
- Day Programs for Grades 6-12
- Boarding Programs in Grades 9-12
- Rigorous College-Preparatory Curriculum approved by University of California
- High School Program
- Advanced Placement Courses
- Beginner to advanced levels of ESL
- College Preparation Courses SAT, ACT
- Outdoor Education and Adventure Program
- Summer School