Boarding school in Connecticut for kids with ADHD & ADD: Private boarding high school in New England for students with learning difficulties. Special needs programs for US & international students, college preparatory school in the New York-Newark-Bridgeport area for teens with dyslexia....
Forman School, Litchfield: Founded in 1930, Forman School is a coeducational college preparatory school for grades 9-12 and PG exclusively dedicated to empowering bright students who learn differently. Forman’s expert faculty deliver unparalleled education for academically motivated students with identified learning differences such as dyslexia, executive function difficulties, or attention deficits.
Grade 9-12 + PG College Preparatory Courses: Forman School expects all students to maintain a rigorous and balanced schedule. To earn a Forman School diploma, students must successfully meet our credit requirements.
All Forman students and faculty participate in Forman School’s Winterim, a rewarding exploration of subjects and ideas not usually studied in a traditional classroom setting. Students may not enroll in the same Winterim course twice during their time at Forman School.
Subjects Offered: - English; Mathematics; History, including U.S. History; Science, including two lab sciences; Thinking and Writing; Strategies Instruction; Perspectives in Learning; Arts; World Language; Winterim, Community Service.
Extracurricular Activities: - 26 competitive athletic offerings, extensive visual and performing arts programs, boat building, sign language, rock and jazz band, theater, videography and photography, and the Costa Rican Rain Forest Project.
Technology: Technology plays a vital role in the Learning Center curriculum. Teachers provide students with assistive technology which will improve access to learning opportunities. Assistive technology is determined on a case by case basis and is related directly to a student's needs. Winterim: Winterim is more than a timely and educational break in the academic routine. It is an intentional program designed for students to discover and develop their individual interests and talents.
In lieu of classes before March Break, all Forman students and faculty participate in Winterim, the centerpiece of the Forman School’s commitment to experiential education. Winterim is an exploration of subjects and ideas not taught in a traditional classroom setting, allowing for examination of important issues and the pursuit of new endeavors.
Because students with different learning styles tend to excel as innovators, entrepreneurs, creators and leaders, Winterim is designed to give students experience in and opportunity for applying skills that lay a foundation for their talents.
Costa Rican Rainforest Project: The Rainforest Project is a non-profit program dedicated to rain forest education through scientific research with young adults from Northwest Connecticut High Schools.
Our philosophy of students contributing to science helps slow down tropical deforestation and provide alternatives to slashing and burning precious rainforests. Through this program, The Forman School also fosters cooperative efforts between public and private schools.
• THINK Global School (TGS) is a private, non-profit high school that travels the world, allowing students ages 14-18 years old the chance to study in four new international cities each academic year.
• TGS offers a once-in-a-lifetime educational experience centered around travel and cultural immersion.
• TGS students are competitively selected from all regions and all walks of life. Together they are a miniature United Nations, representing over 25 different countries of citizenship, and a diverse range of experiences, talents and interests.
• THINK Global School if fully accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Schools - Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACS-WASC).
Current & Previous School Locations around the world:
• 2019-2020: Bosnia & Herzegovina, Australia, Chile, Italy
• 2018-2019: China, Oman, Costa Rica, Greece
• 2017-2018: Botswana, India, Japan & Spain
• 2016-2017: Canada, Morocco & Peru
• 2015-2016: Sweden, Bosnia & Italy
• 2014-2015: New Zealand, Costa Rica, Greece
• 2013-2014: India, Tanzania, Japan
• 2012-2013: Argentina, Bhutan, USA
• 2011-2012: Ecuador, Thailand, Germany
• 2010-2011: Sweden, Australia, China
"The collective energy that the students at THINK Global School possess is remarkable. Somehow, the more places they go and things they do, the more energy they have!… It is such an inspiration!"
- TGS Residential Advisor
The school year consists of four terms, each held in a different country, where students have the chance to explore the history and culture of fantastic locations worldwide.
• Taught in small classes by friendly, dedicated and experienced teachers
• Student-driven instruction
• All subjects are inspired by the location, and are designed to combine learning with a wealth of cultural experiences.
Located in Westbrook, Middlesex County CT, Oxford Academy is a private boarding school offering individualized instruction to boys in Grades 8-12+ who have academic weaknesses or wish to accelerate their high school programs.
Through one-on-one instruction, students are able to work at their own pace and achieve success. In some instances, students are able to complete the equivalent of two years of high school in one year at Oxford.
Since 1906 Oxford Academy has provided young men ages 13-20 with a successful educational experience through one-to-one instruction in a structured boys boarding school with a close caring community of teachers and peers.
The rolling admissions policy allows Oxford to address each student's application immediately, on a first-come, first-served basis.
Individualized Instruction & Boarding School for Boys in Grades 8-12 and Postgrad:
- Foreign Language
- History/ Social Studies
- English As A Second Language (ESL)
- Post Graduate Program
- Summer Session
- College Preparatory Course...
The Marvelwood School, in Kent, Connecticut (2 hours from New York City), is an accredited, college preparatory, co-educational boarding school offering Grades 9-12.
Marvelwood's mission is to strengthen the foundation that leads to personal growth and academic success. We seek young people willing to get involved in their own education and committed to the challenge of preparing for college.
Our school is an optimistic place that provides a structured, supportive and challenging environment, celebrates diversity, and awakens untapped potential. Marvelwood is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
With 170 students, the school is small enough for everybody to know everybody else. That also means that every person plays an important role in the life of the school. Students can find roles they are comfortable in as well as responsibilities that challenge them.
• The Academy of the Holy Family (AHF) is an accredited Catholic day and boarding high school for American and international young women in Grades 9-12.
• Our school is located in Baltic, a town in the state of Connecticut in the New England region of north-eastern USA (approximately 2 hours from Boston and 2,5 hours from NYC).
• Our mission is to provide young women with a strong sense of Christian values and a challenging academic program empowering each individual to reach her spiritual, intellectual, moral and social potential. We welcome new students throughout the year.
• Owned and operated by the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady, Mother of the Church, we have a rich tradition of educating young women in excellence for over 130 years.
• Young women have opportunities to thrive in this nurturing atmosphere, allowing them to reach their full spiritual, intellectual, moral and social potential. Our graduates attend a wide range of colleges and universities across the country.
• College Preparation, Honors and Advanced Placement (AP) courses are available.
• Students attend small, family like classes taught by dedicated religious and lay staff.
• Subjects include: Religion; English; Mathematics; Science; Foreign Language; Social Studies; Fine Arts; Computer; Family Studies; Physical Education. ESL English is offered for our international students.
• We provide boarding for both American and international students.
Choate Rosemary Hall (Choate) represents the best in American secondary education.
Located in Wallingford, CT (2 hours by car/train from Boston & New York), Choate is a private, college-preparatory, coeducational boarding and day school offering third form through sixth form (grades 9-12), including a post-graduate year option.
Our balanced curriculum offers students a firm grounding in the fundamentals of clear thinking and expression — with emphasis on individual development.
Students new to Choate sometimes ask what they need to do to "fit in." The answer is simple: Be yourself and get involved. Choate is a community that has long embraced students and faculty of many backgrounds, cultures, races, and beliefs.
What binds everyone together is not just the shared commitment to superior teaching and learning but the supportive atmosphere in the community. There is pride in the fact that there is no "typical" Choate student.