Shawnigan Lake School:
Shawnigan Lake School is a world-class, co-educational boarding school that offers advanced placement courses for Canadian and international students in Grades 8-12. Our rural setting, on Vancouver Island north of Victoria, BC provides an idyllic location for a learning community designed to discover and develop the confidence and talents of every student. The setting is a magnificent 300-acres in a safe, clean, rural environment that boasts sweeping lawns, gorgeous gardens, and excellent boarding facilities.
Shawnigan delivers a challenging university-preparatory program that meets and exceeds British Columbia Ministry of Education standards. Both Honours and Advanced Placement courses are available. Of particular interest is the number of our grads accepted at top universities and colleges all over North America, such as Harvard, Cambridge, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, McGill, Queen's and the University of Toronto.
Our programs are designed to discover and develop the confidence and talents of each student, and School life exemplifies the personal, family and community values that boost our students into fully rounded graduates.
- Beyond the classroom, the sports field, and the fine art building, learning continues 24 hours a day as the entire school community shares sit-down, family-style meals, gathers three mornings a week for non-denominational chapel assemblies and, especially, experiences day to day life in their "homes" -- the nine residences of Shawnigan Lake School.
- Here the students learn about life—about interactions with peers, about how to live together harmoniously and the effort that takes, and about how it feels to be part of a bigger community. They absorb the spirit of their House, they support their housemates, and they learn lessons about commitment, selflessness, honesty and giving.
- House Directors use House Meetings to discuss issues that may have surfaced within the School or the House that day. The Residential Life curriculum includes components specifically designed for each grade level. Topics cover a broad spectrum from table manners and sense of occasion, to more controversial issues such as sexual health and substance abuse. We pride ourselves on offering a safe environment for open discussion and questions.
Shawnigan's academic programme is university preparatory; the curriculum meets and exceeds British Columbia Ministry of Education standards.
Specialist academic programmes:
- Advanced Placement Courses
- EDGE Leadership Programme
- Honours Courses
- Extra Curricular Sports Programme
- Fine Arts Programme
Athletics are mandatory at Shawnigan, and students are required to take a minimum of one sport each year. Rugby and rowing are our top athletic pursuits, with our teams consistently reaching top status. Field hockey, soccer, squash, and basketball are close runners up.
A Fine Art elective is also a Shawnigan priority. In the arts, students can choose from more than two dozen creative opportunities including musical theatre, pottery, computer animation, fashion design and woodworking. In electives like Civic Leadership or the Environment Club, students develop skills that are leading edge in our contemporary society.
Email: Contact Us
- Courses / Programs
|Address: Shawnigan Lake, Vancouver Island, BC , Canada|
|Search schools here by state/city for Alabama, Arizona-Phoenix, Arkansas, California-LA County/Bay Area, Colorado-Denver, Florida-Miami-Dade, Georgia-Atlanta, Illinois-Chicago/Cook County, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mass-Boston, Michigan, Minnesota-Minneapolis, Mississippi, Missouri-St Louis, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio-Cleveland, Oklahoma, Oregon-Portland, South Carolina, South Dakota, Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Tennessee, Texas-Houston/Dallas, Utah, Virginia, Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin-Milwaukee & more...
Search career colleges in Canada by province/city in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kelowna, Surrey, Victoria, Vancouver, BC, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta, Winnipeg, Manitoba & more...
© 2003-2021 Learn4Good Ltd: Site listing Education Programs, Career Training & Jobs worldwide.