Academy for International Education (Akademie für internationale Bildung), Bonn:
Located in Bonn, in western Germany, Academy for International Education (Akademie für internationale Bildung - AIB) is a private non-profit organization for higher education. We specialize in providing year-round, semester and summer study abroad programs in Bonn for individual students and groups from US colleges and universities.
SABINA Summer Program (6 weeks):
SABINA is an interdisciplinary, six-week summer program for US students that offer courses in German language and culture, liberal arts and film studies in Bonn. A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required to participate in this program (exceptions can be made). It offers students the choice between three different academic 'packages'. Each track gives students the opportunity to earn a total of six-eight semester credits but with different combinations of courses.
TRACK 1: German language & culture:
- Course in German language, German culture and civilization
- Course in German language, German culture and civilization on the next relevant level
TRACK 2: German language & liberal arts:
- Course in German language, German culture and civilization in combination with
- Liberal arts course
TRACK 3: Liberal arts:
- Liberal arts course
- Another liberal arts course
Note: All liberal arts courses are taught in English
Liberal Arts Courses:
- History of Technology:
The purpose of this course is to aquire an understanding of the nature, development, role and significance of technology as a dynamic element in human society. The main focus of this course will be the social history of technology which represents a vast area of study.
- Film Studies European Film and Film Production:
This course covers the basics of film analysis: e.g. how do movies transport meaning, the special function of this narrative and communicate media. Also there will be a 3-day introductory workshop where students learn basic cinematography, editing sound recording and pre-production planning in the course of short film productions.
- Religious Studies:
This course gives a brief overview of general ideas of Christianity and will cover early Christian groups and shisms in the 11th and 13th century as well as the Renaissance and Italien Humanism. Then the course will emphasize on Martin Luther, the Reformation process and the resulting division of the church in Europe. Deriving from that the course looks at the Ecumenical movement of the 19th and 20th century and the general status of the Christian churches in Western Europe today.
- German Soundscapes: Exploring Western Music History At Its Source:
The course objective is to study western art music and give an overview of the development and different traditions in music from the Middle Ages until today. This course interweaves contemporary music and classical masterpieces since many important artist like Beethoven, Brahms or Schumann have lived and worked in Bonn. The students will benefit from detailed case studies and many performances and concerts in our region which enrich the schedule of this course. Prerequisite to participate is the ability to read music.
Internship Programs / Work Experience Placements:
In connection with the summer programs, AIB offers the possibility to take an intensive language course (consisting of 2 language classes) before starting an internship for 6 - 8 weeks. The language course will guarantee that the student is capable of the basic German language skills that are needed to successfully master an internship.
Internships are a very valuable, praxis oriented way of learning and are a great addition to every resumé. The AIB offers various formats for internships. The cost and fees for the internship are calculated based on the individual composition of each internship program.
A possible format for the internship program might be:
- 5 weeks of language courses (2 classes)
- One week excursion at the end of the first part of the program
- 6 - 8 weeks of internship
- It is possible to take a so called "internship class" while doing the internship
The program includes many activities in and around Bonn, such as:
- an orientation tour with practical tips
- guided tours of museums, such as the post-war German history museum in Bonn
- a sightseeing tour of Bonn
- visit to significant sites, such as the Cologne cathedral, company visits, etc.
Typical cultural activities may include:
- a boat trip on the Rhine
- social activities with families and other summer school students
- a concert or an evening at a theater
- a welcome party and farewell picnic
Learning about Germany and the German language "hands-on“ is one of the program's main objectives. Therefore, the program includes many excursions and outings that allow for exciting and diverse cultural experiences.
Day long excursions in this program include:
- A Rhine cruise, that takes you down the Rhine river through the „Upper Middle Rhine Valley“, a UNESCO world heritage. We will visit a medieval castle, explore a romantic town on the Rhine and take a lift up to the top of a famous viewpoint ove the Rhine
- Cologne, where you will see and walk on top of the world-famous cathedral and learn everything you need to know about Karneval and Cologne's unique local culture
- A trip to the beautiful Eifel region, with its Maria Laach monastery and the romantic town of Monreal
- A trip to Trier, Germany's oldest city, where you will walk through underground tunnels in a Roman bath and visit an intact Roman amphitheater
- A hike up the so-called „Dragon's rock“ (Drachenfels) overlooking Bonn
- A bike tour up the Rhine to Remagen, site of the famous WWII Remagen bridge
Optional 4-day trip to Munich & Neuschwanstein:
Students may decide to go on an optional 4-day trip to Munich and the Neuschwanstein castle administered by the AIB. Munich, the capital of the state of Bavaria, is well known for its Octoberfest, the Hofbrauhaus and the infamous white sausage. We will take a deeper look at this fascinating city, which offers much more in terms of history, beautful parks and unique culture.
Final 6-day Excursion to Eisenach, Erfurt, Dresden & Berlin:
Included in the progam fee is the long final excursion to eastern Germany. We will travel by bus, visiting major German cities and cultural sights, such as:
•Berlin, Germany's capital and cultural center. We explore at the history of the divided Berlin, see the Brandenburg Gate, remnants of the wall and the former death strip, visit the Sachsenhausen concentration camp, take a look a the multicultural Berlin and enjoy the city's unparalleled cultural attractions
•Dresden, the „Florence on the river Elbe“, with its unique Baroque buidings, the famous „Frauenkirche“ and opera
•Eisenach, with the Bach House and the famous Wartburg castle
•Erfurt, with its well-preserved old town
For further information on our SABINA summer program, please contact us via our Contact Page.
Email: Contact Us
|Address: Aden, Adenauerallee 7, 53111, Bonn, Germany|
|Search schools here by state/city for Alabama, Arizona-Phoenix, Arkansas, California-LA County/Bay Area, Colorado-Denver, Florida-Miami-Dade, Georgia-Atlanta, Illinois-Chicago/Cook County, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mass-Boston, Michigan, Minnesota-Minneapolis, Mississippi, Missouri-St Louis, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio-Cleveland, Oklahoma, Oregon-Portland, South Carolina, South Dakota, Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, Tennessee, Texas-Houston/Dallas, Utah, Virginia, Washington-Seattle, Wisconsin-Milwaukee & more...
Search career colleges in Canada by province/city in Abbotsford, Burnaby, Kelowna, Surrey, Victoria, Vancouver, BC, Hamilton, Kitchener, London, Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, Calgary, Edmonton, Alberta, Winnipeg, Manitoba & more...
© 2003-2020 Learn4Good Ltd: Site listing Education Programs, Career Training & Jobs worldwide.